Thread: Super Talent MasterDrive OX SATA 2.0 SSD

Default Super Talent MasterDrive OX SATA 2.0 SSD

Phoronix: Super Talent MasterDrive OX SATA 2.0 SSD

Years ago we looked at Super Talent DDR2 memory at Phoronix and with what was tested we ran into problems when overclocking, motherboard compatibility issues, and some very sticky heatsinks. The experience was not the best, but the memory did work as intended. Nearly three years have passed and today we have moved on to look at the Super Talent MasterDrive OX Serial ATA 2.0 Solid State Drive. These Super Talent SSDs are MLC NAND Flash based and come in sizes down to 16GB, which leads to prices lower than many other SSDs on the market, but how do they perform?

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13904

becides being low power and durable could someone please enlighten me as to how SSD's can be applied! Seems like a big money pig to me. Please prove me otherwise

Others (notably AnandTech -- see http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...px?i=3531&p=17
    have noted that SSDs based on JMicron controllers are subject to severe "stutter": sometimes the write latency can go through the roof, causing the whole system to seem to hang.

Not what I want to happen on my system ;-(

Can you make the / partition inside such a disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Can you make the / partition inside such a disk?
    So I'm told (according to discussion on realworldtech a couple of weeks ago).

Question

i've been looking for a low capacity version of one of these to use as almost an EPROM to boot from. The plan is to whack the kernel and related files on there along with some core stuff like the /usr/lib or all the files accessed during booting. Does anyone know if this would work? i doubt it would get the latancy issues mentioned because there would be very little writing involved. Maybe phoronix could see if it could be done?