Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS starts to suck severly

Hybrid View

Default ASUS starts to suck severly

http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

Incredibly cheesy flash vid. Why does ASUS do such a thing and goes to bed with MS? I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

Incredibly cheesy flash vid. Why does ASUS do such a thing and goes to bed with MS? I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.

Money incentives, better compatibility, less returns.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Money incentives, better compatibility, less returns.
    Let's not forget that Asus does not need Linux. Linux needs Asus. Like every good company, they place their own well being above the few geeks using Linux. Linux has to give companies an incentive to support it, NOT the other way around. Asus is doing just fine. Linux isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Let's not forget that Asus does not need Linux. Linux needs Asus. Like every good company, they place their own well being above the few geeks using Linux. Linux has to give companies an incentive to support it, NOT the other way around. Asus is doing just fine. Linux isn't.
    Yup cater to your target audience. You don't dump millions of dollars into marketing and R&D, for ~1-2% of the marketshare when you can market to 90+% of the market. Doing otherwise is called financial suicide.

Default Microsoft is slowly losing ground

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Yup cater to your target audience. You don't dump millions of dollars into marketing and R&D, for ~1-2% of the marketshare when you can market to 90+% of the market. Doing otherwise is called financial suicide.
    It has taken the last 3 years for Microsoft to lose about 3-4 % of the market based on numbers captured by Internet website traffic surveys.

The last one I saw placed Microsoft at 87.9 % and Linux at 1.02%. Three years ago Microsoft was always 92 to 93+%.

Intel like many profit oriented companies flirts with Linux most likely to make Microsoft more competitive.

If the rumors are true that Microsoft is OEMing XP at $15 for netbooks instead of the previous $50, the ASUS, Intel, etc strategy worked.

The important observation is that Linux is being considered as a serious commercial alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Beard View Post
    The important observation is that Linux is being considered as a serious commercial alternative.
    the age old tale that nothing in life is free. proven false.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Beard View Post
    It has taken the last 3 years for Microsoft to lose about 3-4 % of the market based on numbers captured by Internet website traffic surveys.

The last one I saw placed Microsoft at 87.9 % and Linux at 1.02%. Three years ago Microsoft was always 92 to 93+%.
    True, couple things to consider. Most of that marketshare was not lost to linux but to Apple. Also it would not be surprising at all to see MS to gain a large chunk of that back with Win 7 and the push they are giving on making Windows dirt ass cheap in markets where piracy is rampant and income is low.

BTW, Asus is hardly the first to offer linux as an alternative. Many companies over the years have "toyed" with it and then later reverted back.
    Last edited by deanjo; 06-04-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Asus has a long history of licking Microsofts and Intel's boots. Remember when they did not advertise their athlon boards to suck up to Intel?

Combine that with the fact that Asus quality went down a lot in the last couple of years (and asus mobos killed more than one pci device with their overclocked-by-default policy they once had). Why buy asus? There are better mobos out there.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    (and asus mobos killed more than one pci device with their overclocked-by-default policy they once had). Why buy asus? There are better mobos out there.
    Seeing that even on their hi-end series of motherboards the PCI bus is locked at default I have to call BS on that. You have to force the override. For the record I've owned many of their performance series systems "which overcock by default" which as well isn't true. Those boards are set to auto and the only time it overclocks is a) you specify the percentage of overclock in the bios b) it's left on auto and you install their OC'ing software which of course doesn't work in linux anyways. You will of course see occasionally slight bus speed variations which is because of spread spectrum being enabled by default to help adhere to FCC regulations.
    Last edited by deanjo; 06-05-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: * changed standards to regulations

I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.
    Whose wallet do you they think they care about? Your 1 wallet or the other 90+ people's wallet that in a group of 100.