Thread: Random crashes

Default Random crashes

I've been having random crashes with fglrx, regardless of using compositing or not.
    They seem to happen after having used suspend. The computer freezes and CAPSLOCK and SCROLL LOCK start blinking, only solution is hard power-off and power-on.

Any clues?

Radeon HD 3470 on Sony Vaio VGN-FW21M.
    fglrx 9.5

When you say "random", do you mean "sometimes I suspend/resume and it works, sometimes it crashes", or "some random time after having used suspend it crashes" ?

Intended to complement the report by saying that these freezes generally happen 4-5 minutes after a wakeup from suspend. At least this is what happened the last couple of times.
    No useful messages in syslog or /var/log/messages

Quote Originally Posted by peppo View Post
    Intended to complement the report by saying that these freezes generally happen 4-5 minutes after a wakeup from suspend. At least this is what happened the last couple of times.
    No useful messages in syslog or /var/log/messages
    I can confirm this behaviour. Catalyst 9.6, Radeon HD 2400 Pro, Opensuse 11.1. The crashes usually happen a few minutes after wakeup from suspend, but sometimes also completely out of the blue. I had the same issue with 9.5 , but a lot less frequently. No messages in either dmesg nor /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    I can confirm this behaviour. Catalyst 9.6, Radeon HD 2400 Pro, Opensuse 11.1. The crashes usually happen a few minutes after wakeup from suspend, but sometimes also completely out of the blue. I had the same issue with 9.5 , but a lot less frequently. No messages in either dmesg nor /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
    I second I have random system freeze that last from one to 3 second when using compiz Very annoying!

Mandriva Linux 2009 Catalyste 9.6

It would be less confusing if you named your title "Random crashes after suspend"

It's not just after suspend anymore. Seems to be more related to opengl or composite (compiz and/or kwin). As soon as desktop effects are switched off, the system runs smoothly and crashfree.