Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome For Linux Arrives, In Dev Form

Chrome is very fast in javascript, but *much* less than stellar in plain web content (html, css, images). Try zooming or scrolling an image-heavy webpage, for example. Opera 9.6/10 slaughters Chrome (and Firefox) on such pages.

Not to mention Opera's "fit to width" functionality that makes zooming actually useful. Try zooming Phoronix by 20% - see that horizontal scrollbar? How do you feel, browsing like this? Now try with Opera; press Ctrl-F11. That's a genuinely useful feature noone has dared copy yet (simply because it is quite difficult to get right - as Opera has managed to do).

@BlackStar

Try zooming or scrolling an image-heavy webpage, for example. Opera 9.6/10 slaughters Chrome (and Firefox) on such pages.
    Thanks to QT4...

Took a little fiddling to get it installed properly, but it's not too bad. It's definitely speedy.

Too bad there's no 64-bit build, though; I'm pretty pissed that they're pretending it is.

Oh yeah, Gentoo users wanting to give this a shot, I offer up the fruits of my labour:
    www-client/google-chrome-unstable-3.0.183.1.ebuild
    http://dpaste.com/51790/

Have fun, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    @BlackStar

Thanks to QT4...
    Nope, using QT3-amd64-static build here.

As far as I know, Opera does not use QT4 for page rendering or for its UI, just for its file dialogs. The UI is completely custom.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    "Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Chrome up to date."

Finally, a third party package you can install and keep up to date without rubbing your head, patting your belly, and dancing a jig.

Without proper apturl infrastructure built into ubuntu, more and more packages will modify /etc/apt/sources.list until it's just the accepted way of doing things.
    Thank you -- this is what I've been trying to say for years!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Nope, using QT3-amd64-static build here.

As far as I know, Opera does not use QT4 for page rendering or for its UI, just for its file dialogs. The UI is completely custom.
    That's even better, because QT3 is better accelerated right now

If only it has adblock and noscript. I hate d'em google ads

No thanks.

a) bad browser
    b) from google
    c) calls home (partly same as b)

Default Download for RPM distributions

You can download the binaries (I'm using opensuse 11.2 factory and opensuse 11.1) here:
    build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    The hugest problem with chrome is that no java + flash plugins are unusable. Tested it 5 min and removed it. I even tried to cp the flash plugin manually to the plugins dir, showed flash in aboutlugins but youtube did not work.
    Guess firefox-style plugin support is not ready yet