Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StormOS Enters Beta

Default StormOS Enters Beta

Phoronix: StormOS Enters Beta

A beta version of StormOS has emerged, which is a desktop distribution that is based upon the Nexenta Core Platform that in turn is derived from OpenSolaris but with an Ubuntu user-land. The StormOS project emerged out of the an OpenSolaris user being dissatisfied with the slow pace of OpenSolaris on netbooks and preferring the APT packaging system to Sun's Image Packaging System. The beta version of StormOS is shipping with an Xfce 4 desktop and -- unlike the current releases of OpenSolaris -- even ships with a word processor.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13930

Beautiful font rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Beautiful font rendering.
    Hahaha small so to fit in the cd...

wow what a pile of crap, if they just replaced that solaris core with linux they might be on to something...

Who on earth needs that?

I do not think that there is a perfect free OS.

I have to admit that I do not think the current releases of the Linux kernel are that stable. Is there a well defined functionality tests, regression tests? Never heard of them.

Also the Linux based distros have the richest userland and that is why people prefer it rather than Solaris, BSD.

So a distro that uses a non Linux kernel, but has the packages of a standard Linux based distro like Debian might be the stable and usable OS we all need (or at least me).

More on the topic:
    http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~tonc...-kFreeBSD.html

Quote Originally Posted by toninio View Post
    I have to admit that I do not think the current releases of the Linux kernel are that stable. Is there a well defined functionality tests, regression tests? Never heard of them.
    Yeah you give real proof here... and then the Linux users will say the oppossite etc etc... Seriously, do you think projects like this have a reason to exist?
    Last edited by Apopas; 06-06-2009 at 09:50 AM.

There is no perfect OS in general, not only free but proprietary as well. So, instead of making hybrids and short living unixlike OSes don't you think it should be better to to use that hands and the time you waste there, to make just one free OS the perfect one?

I never heard of regression tests when comes to solaris, bsd, macos, windows... What the hell defined functionality test means?! There are regression tests, but you can read about them... And if you didn't hear, it doesn't mean there aren't such tests...

Also the Linux based distros have the richest userland and that is why people prefer it rather than Solaris, BSD.
    Buahahaha, I try to stay away from such geeks as far as possible, but I couldn't resist. You want to be cool geeky hacker/pro user, because you choose systems which have less users then Linux? Go further, write your own OS wich will be controlled by hexadecimal code written ONLY in ED (vi is too weak - see bellow). This will be cool! Or go even further and use hurd...

So a distro that uses a non Linux kernel, but has the packages of a standard Linux based distro like Debian might be the stable and usable OS we all need (or at least me).
    Might be, but probably isn't. Much more people are working on Linux, much more eyes look at it...
    Last edited by kraftman; 06-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Vi? Everyone knows ed is the standard: http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html