Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: KDE 4.3 Beta 2 Released, More K Improvements

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Hefty changelog, nice improvements, but still it needs to be faster and more efficient. The amount of resources some K apps use is a disaster. At least it logs out faster.
    I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions
    Can you give some examples? In my opinion an only application which suffers from low performance is Marble, but just because it doesn't support hardware acceleration yet. In example Konqueror is as efficient as Firefox 3 when comes to memory usage and its interface is far more responsive. It's not fair to compare KDE 4 and Gnome, because Gnome doesn't have many KDE features (so it consumes less memory).

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
    Why not just write the test suite in something like Perl, if you need a scripting language.

    It seems a bit silly to be developing a test suite using PHP.
    I'm much more of a fan of Ruby, but based on my casual observations, it seems that Python has more bindings for 3rd party libraries than any other scripting language. Perl being a close 2nd.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I agree...maybe this issue would need to be raised with the K devs. File bug reports for the worst apps and maybe the performance/resource issues should get resolved at some point. At least 4.2.4 works a bit better, but there are some regressions
    Has anyone seen any information on the target platform for KDE 4.3? Something like a recommended or minimum hardware requirement?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kxmas View Post
    Has anyone seen any information on the target platform for KDE 4.3? Something like a recommended or minimum hardware requirement?
    Same requirements as 4.0. System targets haven't changed.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Hefty changelog, nice improvements, but still it needs to be faster and more efficient. The amount of resources some K apps use is a disaster. At least it logs out faster.
    Hmm, it seems quite nippy to me - my regular kde apps are konqueror, konsole, ktorrent & dolphin. Which apps do you see hogging resources?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    kwin with compositing goes mad sometimes, hogging cpu. Not too bad (like 30-50% in htop) but still. At least it is easily solved....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    kwin with compositing goes mad sometimes, hogging cpu. Not too bad (like 30-50% in htop) but still. At least it is easily solved....
    is that on a nvidia card? I think there were some driver issues exposed by kwin a while ago, but thought they'd been fixed in later driver releases..

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    no, it is ati+fglrx.
    X starts hogging too when it is happening - but not as bad as kwin.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    no, it is ati+fglrx.
    X starts hogging too when it is happening - but not as bad as kwin.
    Hmm, yeah there are a couple of bugs on kde's bugzilla - maybe add some info?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •