Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 2 Released

Default Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 2 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 2 Released

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 2 is now available. This second testing release for the forthcoming Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't bring too much in the way of exciting features or major changes since the release of Alpha 1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMyMw

The used kernel is -8, that means based on 2.6.30-RC8. Also the live iso has extreme performance problems when you try it with kvm. The more memory you give it the slower it gets. And not only a few seconds, but extra minutes. Best try -m 512 - then 1024 and if you have got enough memory - 2048. That's a demonstration how slow a live system can be made. Currently unionfs-fuse is used, that seems to be the slowest possible way...

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 2 Released
    This second testing release for the forthcoming Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't bring too much in the way of exciting features or major changes since the release of Alpha 1...
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMyMw
    I beg to differ! The new version contains KDE 4.3 Beta 2. That is quite a big upgrade, if you ask me. Don't forget that a majority of Linux users still use KDE, even though GNOME is forced on us by a number of big distros.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    Don't forget that a majority of Linux users still use KDE, even though GNOME is forced on us by a number of big distros.
    source plz. I don't want to troll, I am just interested. ^^

KDE is always the winner in the LinuxQuestions poll, not in overall popularity or life in general based solely on the data presented. That tells me it is more popular with that community, and less so each year at that. I'd like to know more about actual overall usage and a poll on a forum is not going to answer that question.

@Thefirstm
    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    I beg to differ! The new version contains KDE 4.3 Beta 2. That is quite a big upgrade, if you ask me.
    Exactly. KDE is DE which brings new users to Linux. When my friends saw Gnome for the first time they wondered what the hell this strange thing is.

Don't forget that a majority of Linux users still use KDE, even though GNOME is forced on us by a number of big distros.
    That's for sure. If Kubuntu will be more polished and advertised many Ubuntu users will choose KDE. Just look at all those complains about missing features (which KDE already has) in Ubuntu blueprints.

@Joshuapurcell
    KDE is always the winner in the LinuxQuestions poll, not in overall popularity or life in general based solely on the data presented.
    'source plz. I don't want to troll, I am just interested. ^^'

@Kano
    Currently unionfs-fuse is used, that seems to be the slowest possible way...
    Indeed, that's a pain.
    Last edited by kraftman; 06-19-2009 at 06:10 AM.