Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Radeon 3D Driver Rewrite Merged To Master

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Digressing a bit, but I have to say it, since I have just noticed Airlie works for Red Hat.

    One can hardly appreciate the effort this company puts and how much it invests into Linux, both the kernel and around it. Sure, they're out to make money like every company -- but there are so many areas (core kernel, kvm, PA just to mention a few) where Red Hat gives back so much to the community, I consider this kind of work amazing.

    Not to mention Fedora, which is really personally becoming for me a real competitor to deb-based distros (obviously, Ubuntu, but also Debian).

    I could throw in that it's a bit aggravating to see how popular Ubuntu is and little they give back kernelwise, but they're (1) relatively new to the game and (2) I hear they contribute a lot desktop-wise. And they're getting a lot more new people exposed to Linux in general, which is a _very important_ thing. No use for all those wonderful features if there's no wide userbase to test and enjoy them.

    So, end of my rant: kudos to Red Hat and continue the great work.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    884

    Default

    *does a happy dance*

    Combine the TTM and KMS proposed merges, and this, and I'm definitely happy. I'll be updating my Mesa install (radeon-rewrite -> master) when I get home tonight and doing what I can to test/break it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    One can hardly appreciate the effort this company puts and how much it invests into Linux, both the kernel and around it. Sure, they're out to make money like every company -- but there are so many areas (core kernel, kvm, PA just to mention a few) where Red Hat gives back so much to the community, I consider this kind of work amazing.
    And networkManager and the list goes. I was going to post exactly the same when I read the article. Thank you Red Hat. Ubuntu has become to a large extent synonym of Linux among home users (hell, I run Kubuntu). But in corporate use, essentially Red Hat == Linux. They deserve the glory.
    Last edited by mendieta; 06-12-2009 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Digressing a bit, but I have to say it, since I have just noticed Airlie works for Red Hat.

    One can hardly appreciate the effort this company puts and how much it invests into Linux, both the kernel and around it. Sure, they're out to make money like every company -- but there are so many areas (core kernel, kvm, PA just to mention a few) where Red Hat gives back so much to the community, I consider this kind of work amazing.

    Not to mention Fedora, which is really personally becoming for me a real competitor to deb-based distros (obviously, Ubuntu, but also Debian).

    I could throw in that it's a bit aggravating to see how popular Ubuntu is and little they give back kernelwise, but they're (1) relatively new to the game and (2) I hear they contribute a lot desktop-wise. And they're getting a lot more new people exposed to Linux in general, which is a _very important_ thing. No use for all those wonderful features if there's no wide userbase to test and enjoy them.

    So, end of my rant: kudos to Red Hat and continue the great work.
    Surely Red Hat is amazing, but all this is only possible because AMD made it possible in the first place.

    It is truly impressive that one of the two leading GPU companies decides to go open source. Things that have been kept a secret in fear of what the competitor could do with this info, is now completely open.

    I wouldn't want to hear the meetings when it was proposed for the first time. I think it would be safe to say that, that most have required some amazing arguments and tolerance for those that would just go in BSoD when they hear the words "open source".

    I think it was a smart move by AMD, but I still think it was very brave at this point, and not waiting for the next generation of GPU's, where they could have separated the Digital Restrictions Management completely from the 3D stuff. That's impressive and really shows how much weight and money they put behind it.

    And then we have to thank all the people that have contributed with are not on AMD's pay role. MustAwesomeDude springs to mind.

    And see where we are now. Intel got scared and followed AMD's move. It's a bit strange to think about, that we have to thank AMD for Intel going open source on their GPU's

    Let's see when nVidia joins in. At some point AMD/ATi will be the defacto standard for Linux, unless nVidia follows AMD's lead.
    Last edited by Louise; 06-12-2009 at 03:11 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    86

    Default

    ^Intel's drivers have been open source since well before AMD's recent OSS push.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaos386 View Post
    ^Intel's drivers have been open source since well before AMD's recent OSS push.
    In that case, subtract 1 from still infinity awesome

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Not surprisingly, all my recent purchases in terms of graphics have been intel and amd/ati. It's in my best interest, but also I like to vote with my wallet

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Not surprisingly, all my recent purchases in terms of graphics have been intel and amd/ati. It's in my best interest, but also I like to vote with my wallet
    Yes. Everybody wins. No more fighting, no more licensing BS, no more struggling to install half-assed drivers, etc etc. Everything is open, everybody benefits, (well once the drivers stabilize!) and they still get to sell their hardware.

    Very nice. Everybody wins, everybody profits. This is the way things should be.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    I'de like to know when the game FooBillard will display correctly with ATI drivers, both closed and open source ones. Funny thing is that it works correctly under Windows, but not under Linux. You can install foobillard from synaptic on debian/ubuntu systems. You will notice a bad shading.... it's at least 3 years it's like that and still nothing changed.... it works correctly with INTEL and NVIDIA drivers......and I'de also like to know what's causing that bug..


    If that is a picture you like, try some debs from https://launchpad.net/~smoki00790/+archive/ppa .

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    ...and I'de also like to know what's causing that bug..
    I forgot to explain this issue... Intel's hardware do not support GL_CLAMP and because of that they just translate it to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE in drivers, but ATi Radeons hardware have support and thus they support both in drivers also, not sure about nVidia propertiary drivers but they seems to translate it also like Intel, again nouveau have both... Who knows, i think it's better to change that in game, because that will works for everybody, another reason is because it is changed in same way for win32 port.
    Last edited by dungeon; 06-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •