Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TTM, Radeon KMS Pull Request Goes In

Default TTM, Radeon KMS Pull Request Goes In

Phoronix: TTM, Radeon KMS Pull Request Goes In

David Airlie has asked Linus Torvalds to pull in the TTM memory manager and Radeon kernel mode-setting code into the Linux 2.6.31 kernel. For now only the Radeon DRM uses this new TTM memory manager implementation, but once ready, so will the Nouveau kernel mode-setting code for NVIDIA hardware. VIA's DRM will likely end up using TTM in the long-run too plus potentially other vendors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMyNg

This is one huge patch. Will the patch for R500 and R600 be just as complex?

Or was this the hardest of the two?

This was the hardest AFAIK, since it adds both the framework and support for multiple generations of GPU (1xx-4xx pre-AtomBIOS, 5xx using AtomBIOS).

The 6xx/7xx modesetting code shouldn't be much different from 5xx, so the "missting stuff" is mostly 6xx/7xx memory management.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-15-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    This was the hardest AFAIK, since it adds both the framework and support for multiple generations of GPU (1xx-4xx pre-AtomBIOS, 5xx using AtomBIOS).

The 6xx/7xx modesetting code shouldn't be much different from 5xx, so the "missting stuff" is mostly 6xx/7xx memory management.
    Cool!

Are there any synergy's with Open Graphics Project, or are their driver and hardware too different?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Graphics_Project

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smiteme/4170866438/

21 April 2009 Announcement: VGA emulation is working! As part of a complete graphics solution, we need to support VGA text mode.
    i don't think they will need something like a memory manager anytime soon...
    Last edited by frische; 06-15-2009 at 09:34 AM.

I don't think anyone will need something like this in general.

I highly doubt that the Open Graphics Project will ever even come close to succeeding on a large or semi-large scale.

Hey,

I've just installed the latest git kernel + TTM & KMS patches !
    It is almost perfect on the kernel side, but userspace just doesn't do the trick right now.

Here is what I get in the xorg log, didn't know 2.0.0 was lower than 1.17.0 :
    (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
    [dri] radeon.o kernel module version is 2.0.0 but version 1.17.0 or newer is needed.
    EDIT : I forgot to mention that the screen is composed of green vertical lines and so is the mouse too.

I'm running the latest stable XServer (1.6.1.901) and the modesetting-gem branch of libdrm. Do I need to recompile mesa ? I'll try to do so.

Concerning KMS itself, native resolution is well set and no longer results in a crash after a few seconds. Now, the drawback is with dual screen. Both screens get the right resolution but also the same content at the same size. As you can see, there is screen corruption where the screen is not used.

Whatever, it's a great job
    Last edited by MPF; 06-15-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I highly doubt that the Open Graphics Project will ever even come close to succeeding on a large or semi-large scale.
    Didn't he quit his job to work full time on OGC?

Obviously he is very talented. I mean, who can build an entire graphics card from scratch?

I bet AMD or Intel is hiring him at some point.

Or maybe even buys his work?

Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    ...snip...
    Recompile mesa and don't use modesetting-gem, it's outdated, switch to master. Congrats you has a text on your screen! Now run crysis!