Thread: AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Have you tried the 10 bit enable?

Code:
    aticonfig --set-pcs-val=DDX,OGLFMTA2R10G10B10Enable,1
    From here:
    http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794

HTH!
    I tried, but doesn't help. Well, I didn't had quite a lot of those xorg options, but as I thought, none of them helped. Still got choppy cube with playback on one of desktops, not to mention fullscreen kills it all but I can turn it off if I'm fast enough

Moving this aside... drivers are great

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    I think you can create SUSE RPMS from their installer, if they don't work you uninstall them and revert back. You can certainly do that for Ubuntu. Try passing --help to the installer.
    I nearly forgot about that option, thanks for reminding me of that

Works fine so far, using glxgears with Compiz looks great
    Only problem seems to be a major slowdown in Wine.. I just tested a very simple app I programmed recently and it's about 10 times slower than before.. I'll look into that, perhaps I was just doing something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    nVidia fanboy
    troll FAIL

i have a Radeon 9700 Pro and a HD4870

9.6 is worse than 9.5.

How come when fglrx loads it shows 20 May 2009? So it was built a month ago but the fuktards only decided to release it now?

No, it's just that they decided to honor my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    troll FAIL

i have a Radeon 9700 Pro and a HD4870

9.6 is worse than 9.5.

How come when fglrx loads it shows 20 May 2009? So it was built a month ago but the fuktards only decided to release it now?
    There's a phoronix article about the amd linux driver development cycle. Yes, they built it a month ago, and let it "bake" for a month. It is also explained why they do that. So read up a little before insulting them.

I still consider 12 bad driver release too much. Release when needed, if needed 20 if not 1 or 2, but those have to work 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    There's a phoronix article about the amd linux driver development cycle. Yes, they built it a month ago, and let it "bake" for a month. It is also explained why they do that. So read up a little before insulting them.
    Actually I had created a similar response but didn't post it.

I realized that these guys don't need any help to look bad.

Kano::: Personally I love knowing I'll get a new driver every month. Especially when they are as good as these new drivers. 9.6 >>>> 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by keithlm View Post
    Actually I had created a similar response but didn't post it.

I realized that these guys don't need any help to look bad.

Kano::: Personally I love knowing I'll get a new driver every month. Especially when they are as good as these new drivers. 9.6 >>>> 9.5
    Fine for you, if you can live with 12 bad drivers a year, I agree with kano.

These drivers are great. you just need patches is all.
    If you use a gentoo based distro, i've got an ebuild and fix
    that will work to get them going. sorry, its a crappy ebuild
    but it gets the job done.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EPKR4FM

cd and extract this to /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/
    ebuild ati-drivers-8.62.ebuild digest
    emerge =ati-drivers-8.62
    (after you finish emerging the ebuild doesn't work well so you need to do this)
    cd /usr/portage/distfiles
    chmod +x ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.run
    ./ati-driver-installer-9-6-x86.x86_64.run

and go through the install, it will fail to build fglrx.ko but
    this is fine as the ebuild did that for us, its just the other prebuilt .so files we need.

make sure that your xorg.conf is set to fglrx and viola you can use the 9.6 catalyst drivers for .29 or .30 kernel. I'm using it on a .29 right now with 2300fps using glxgears on a mobility hd2600 and it rocks!

so quit your crying and do something. You gotta problem and whine yet I don't see you doing anything to fix it or help.

Quit complaining, they could just quit fixing issues all together and not release any code for opensource devs! AMD/ATI has been good to use and is at least trying unlike some of you flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    Sure he isn't. Linus didn't sign that for whatever the reason he had for not doing so. Maybe he was pragmatic or wanted to remain neutral in a way.

though see this earlier post for Linus opinion about blobs:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=78
    Ah yes, I wanted to comment on Linus' stance, but didn't recall what it was, and he does a good job of explaining it.

Linus doesn't give a damn about FOSS, actually he doesn't give a damn about anything except making his life easier.

I just don't like it when people portray going against Opensource philosophy as going against Linux (unless used in the GNU/Linux form). If you want to say binary-blobs go against Linux it is only because of the assumption of a constant ABI, which is a Windows thing.