Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

Default NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

Back in May we shared that NVIDIA was readying its OpenCL Linux driver and had submitted their OpenCL 1.0 NVIDIA drivers to the Khronos Group for certification. As of this morning, NVIDIA has now released its OpenCL driver for Linux (and Windows), but it's only available if you are a registered NVIDIA developer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMzMg

Nvidia is always first.

Cool, nvidia opens another can of whoopass.

I don't understand why AMD would develop a closed source and an open source OpenCL driver.

If they write the driver, they control the copyright, so they can release the source as GPLv2 or GPLv3, and still use the same source for their closed source drivers.

id Software does that with their game engines.

You can buy a license to e.g. the Quake 3 engine, which have been released as GPLv2, but by buying a license from id, you can keep your changes closed source.
    Last edited by Louise; 06-17-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.

On the open source side, we expect to help with writing the open source Gallium3D driver, and our understanding is that TG/VMWare is working on an open source OpenCL driver which will run over Gallium3D.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-17-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.
    That makes sense to speed up the development and lower the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    On the open source side, we expect to help with writing the open source Gallium3D driver, and our understanding is that TG/VMWare is working on an open source OpenCL driver which will run over Gallium3D.
    So the open source version is really the crown jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Nvidia is always first.
    And what OpenCL programs are you running on your nvidia card?

Why does nvidia support opencl with such enthusiasm? I would have expected them to delay their opencl drivers as long as possible to gain a competitive advantage with cuda market share. Not like i'm complaining though, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
    Why does nvidia support opencl with such enthusiasm? I would have expected them to delay their opencl drivers as long as possible to gain a competitive advantage with cuda market share. Not like i'm complaining though, just wondering.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/apple.html Maybe apple is big enough paying customer?

Quote Originally Posted by suokko View Post
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/apple.html Maybe apple is big enough paying customer?
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but what will Apple be using OpenCL for?

I know that Apple is one of the key drivers of OpenCL, but I have never seen an Apple server in a data center.

... Except for MAC Mini. They are quite popular for webservers.