Thread: OSS r500 PowerPlay support

Default OSS r500 PowerPlay support

Hello all,

IIRC Alex Deucher used to run a git branch providing initial PowerPlay support for Radeon r500 boards. However, those patches look now obselete and pretty much un-applyable to the current tree.

Therefore, my question is: does anyone know what's the status of PowerPlay support in the official tree?

Alex added basic power management code to master, so I think the branch can be considered obsolete.

If you pull the latest -ati code and check the man page there are two new options - one forces a low power mode by dropping engine clocks and reducing the PCIE lane width, the other drops power draw further when the display is blanked by DPMS. Also, the DynamicClocks option was renamed to ClockGating, or something like that.

Similar options have been added to radeonhd, although I don't think the PCIE lane reductions were ported across.

BTW "PowerPlay" is the name of our proprietary power management software in the Catalyst driver, so we should probably use some other term for the open source drivers to avoid confusion.

I've just pulled the latest master tree and I see the options you talk about (ForceLowPowerMode and DynamicPM).

Thank you very much for your kind reply!