Thread: WM: Minimizing OpenGL/SDL/GLUT Windows

Angry WM: Minimizing OpenGL/SDL/GLUT Windows

Greetings,

Is it just me or none of the flipping WE are able to minimize my Open Arena or Alien Arena window for me to take a peak at my desktop, e.g. ALT + TAB on Winblows? I tried metacity/xfwm4/kwin and all of them have shortcuts for window minimization e.g. ALT + F10 but when pressed the 3D apps ask me if I want to exit out of the game or they don't do anything at all.

This flipping sucks.

Windows? Alt-tabbing fullscreen D3D apps is pretty inconsistent there. Most of my games crash, introduce graphical corruption, or start leaking memory

The problem in actually lies in X, while it could in theory be possible to have minimization handlers in SDL, GLX and GLUT are a whole other story. I remember some GLX applications were able to be minimized with ctrl-ESC (IIRC), but GLUT is a complete different beast in itself, and handles the window independently of the rest of the system... Still sits atop X, but handles X differently than your WM does.

yesterday, Thetargos: thanks guys .

One solution is to start another X server session, e.g. 'startx -- :1' that eats some extra memory but it's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    yesterday, Thetargos: thanks guys .

One solution is to start another X server session, e.g. 'startx -- :1' that eats some extra memory but it's alright.
    I've heard starting a separate X server actually could boost performance on the other hand, although I have no source to confirm this. Used to do this when I played WoW with wine.