Thread: The Future Of EGL On Linux With Mesa, Eagle

Default The Future Of EGL On Linux With Mesa, Eagle

Phoronix: The Future Of EGL On Linux With Mesa, Eagle

Kristian Høgsberg, the Red Hat developer largely responsible for DRI2 and various other X.Org innovations, had started the Wayland display server project last year to leverage new technologies like kernel mode-setting and the Graphics Execution Manager. While there is not much to report on with Wayland since our last update, one of the components used by Wayland is Eagle, another Kristian Høgsberg project.Eagle is a small loader for DRI drivers to use EGL, the Khronos interface for between their APIs (OpenGL, OpenVG, etc...) and the underlying window system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzM3NQ

is it just my idea or this just complicates things more

i mean everything is moving to gallium

why dont just make wayland use gallium -which is something i thing is possible with the current egl in mesa-

anyone cares to explain

Yeah Michael really sucks at explaining anything. I guess eagle makes it possible to use DRI drivers without X.

I didn't see anything actually wrong in the article, it was just short and didn't go into what EGL was or the nuances of what was different between EGL and Eagle (Kristian's blog post does that).

EGL was designed so that embedded apps could use OpenGL ES (in Linux-speak, a DRI client driver) with as little overhead as possible, ie there's just enough API to create drawing surfaces and allow OpenGL ES to co-exist with any native drawing functions the underlying system might have.

Eagle seems to differ from a standard EGL implementation in a couple of ways, partly by being focused on a single environment and partly by being able to bypass some of the integration mechanisms in EGL and go directly to GEM etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I didn't see anything actually wrong in the article, it was just short
    that was basically my point; the article was just like "the xserver now has CAF(cryptic acronym four)".

As far as I understand it now EGL is an API similar to GLUT and there is an MESA implementation which uses GLX/ Gallium and there is the Eagle implementation which talks directly to DRI2.

Quote Originally Posted by madman2k View Post
    that was basically my point; the article was just like "the xserver now has CAF(cryptic acronym four)".
    The articles are padded long enough as it is without having to spell out every TLA. Just use the right-click-search thing to look it up on Wikipedia.