Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 111

Thread: Netbook Performance: Ubuntu vs. OpenSolaris

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,590

    Default Netbook Performance: Ubuntu vs. OpenSolaris

    Phoronix: Netbook Performance: Ubuntu vs. OpenSolaris

    In the past we have published OpenSolaris vs. Linux Kernel benchmarks and similar articles looking at the performance of Sun's OpenSolaris up against popular Linux distributions. We have looked at the performance on high-end AMD workstations, but we have never compared the OpenSolaris and Linux performance on netbooks. Well, not until today. In this article we have results comparing OpenSolaris 2009.06 and Ubuntu 9.04 on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14039

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Who'd like to run opensolaris on a netbook (except saying it's possible) ???
    And for doing what ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,432

    Default

    Anyone who uses Solaris / OpenSolaris on other systems and wants consistency ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Anyone who uses Solaris / OpenSolaris on other systems and wants consistency ?
    Sure. Won't make many sales though...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Sure. Won't make many sales though...
    So Microsoft Windows must be the best OS available.. since it makes many sales. Much more than Linux!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartjeB View Post
    So Microsoft Windows must be the best OS available.. since it makes many sales. Much more than Linux!
    Nope. Solaris is much older then Linux and Solaris is almost no more (we'll see what Oracle will do). Windows has monopoly on desktops and was there quite long before Linux (*). In other words it's like this in my opinion:

    Solaris → Linux (very fast progress)

    Windows → Linux (slow and hard progress - *).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Nope. Solaris is much older then Linux and Solaris is almost no more (we'll see what Oracle will do). Windows has monopoly on desktops and was there quite long before Linux (*). In other words it's like this in my opinion:

    Solaris → Linux (very fast progress)

    Windows → Linux (slow and hard progress - *).
    sorry to play on words but.. fast progress... or regression if one accidentally considers that Solaris users were not forced to start using it nor because they are not smart enough to play with Linux

    I want to apologize... I have a terrible secret I want to share... I switched from Linux to Solaris as 24/7 desktop because I like it much better. I'd rather avoid switching back to Linux (FreeBSD is my second weapon of choice).
    It's only a matter of personal taste, I have no reason to spread FUD as some Linux fundamentalists do. Both operating systems do their job in a slightly different manner.

    As for Solaris future: wait and see...

    I don't like the way more and more Linux user become arrogant and intolerant... wanting to kill every other species in the opensource OS ecosystem...

    Not tired of Microsoft monopoly and FUD ? The Linux community want to build its own cathedral too ?

    I'm being tired of single minded and obtuse people...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jollyd View Post
    sorry to play on words but.. fast progress... or regression if one accidentally considers that Solaris users were not forced to start using it nor because they are not smart enough to play with Linux

    I want to apologize... I have a terrible secret I want to share... I switched from Linux to Solaris as 24/7 desktop because I like it much better. I'd rather avoid switching back to Linux (FreeBSD is my second weapon of choice).
    It's only a matter of personal taste, I have no reason to spread FUD as some Linux fundamentalists do. Both operating systems do their job in a slightly different manner.

    As for Solaris future: wait and see...

    I don't like the way more and more Linux user become arrogant and intolerant... wanting to kill every other species in the opensource OS ecosystem...

    Not tired of Microsoft monopoly and FUD ? The Linux community want to build its own cathedral too ?

    I'm being tired of single minded and obtuse people...
    JollyD, you are interesting me. What are, on your opinion, the advantages of Solaris against linux or even Windows or MacOS ?
    It's not for joking you, it's really to learn. I don't know Solaris. It's seems however to be a nice OS, but I really don't know it. You say I still could install one release and see by myself. However, a install process is always a long thing (and my second hard drive is gone at western digital for exchange, it was dead-out-of-the-box).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    197

    Default

    I think Phoronix has a hidden agenda with OpenSolaris

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    I think Phoronix has a hidden agenda with OpenSolaris
    What makes you think that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •