Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: AMD/ATI lost another Linux customer

Quote Originally Posted by snogglethorpe View Post
    One of the most basic attributes of humans is that they love to whine. Also, they hate to think too hard. And they want a pony.

This thread is a perfect example.
    It's good to see that someone finally understood what-this-thread-is-all-about. Damn straight I'm whining!

I bought a 300usd card (yeah, I don't live in the US) a year ago and I still can't get decent support for it on Linux, with any of the available drivers.

I'm NOT complaining about AMD releasing the docs, I'm NOT complaining about AMD contributing to the community, I AM complaining about AMD's lack of support for modern distributions. Is it too much to ask? For NVIDIA and Intel, apparently it isn't.

Oh! And a pony would be nice too. They look tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by m4rgin4l View Post
    It's good to see that someone finally understood what-this-thread-is-all-about. Damn straight I'm whining!

I bought a 300usd card (yeah, I don't live in the US) a year ago and I still can't get decent support for it on Linux, with any of the available drivers.

I'm NOT complaining about AMD releasing the docs, I'm NOT complaining about AMD contributing to the community, I AM complaining about AMD's lack of support for modern distributions. Is it too much to ask? For NVIDIA and Intel, apparently it isn't.

Oh! And a pony would be nice too. They look tasty!
    Fedora isn't a modern distribution only a cow to milk for redhat ....

why is redhat not buy an VGA dev companie like VIA/S3 and make better and opensource drivers??

ah yes... redhat dosn't care abaut your litle dreams!

becourse redhat only makes mony on servers and workstations...

and thats the fakt servers and workstations do not care abaut modern distributions like fedora becourse fedora is only to melk cow's like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

why is redhat not buy an VGA dev companie like VIA/S3 and make better and opensource drivers??

and thats the fakt servers and workstations do not care abaut modern distributions like fedora becourse fedora is only to melk cow's like you!
    Oh! Stop it! You're making me blush...

Which company is the leading contributor to the Linux kernel?

Perhaps Redhat should start putting some of that money into Aspell.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

seriously? do you realize how much development red hat does for the linux community? go read something about red hats contributions before you try to make yourself look like an idiot again. you obviously don't know anything about what red hat actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by m4rgin4l View Post
    Oh! Stop it! You're making me blush...

Which company is the leading contributor to the Linux kernel?

Perhaps Redhat should start putting some of that money into Aspell.
    "Which company is the leading contributor to the Linux kernel?"

Linux kernel isn't linux kernel... you mean features in the linux kernel used by the server/workstation-only witout any sence for desktop enduser.

yes redhat do a lot but! and that is the importand think they do not care abaut the litle people they only fokus on the highendgovament-militäry-servermarket.

do you wana play a game??? redhat do not dev games and do not support gaming hartware!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    seriously? do you realize how much development red hat does for the linux community? go read something about red hats contributions before you try to make yourself look like an idiot again. you obviously don't know anything about what red hat actually does.
    redhat supports game's for linux?

like Ubuntu does ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

you are kidding!

I recommend:
    gregkh_presentation_canonical.avi

Redhat does a lot. Novell does a lot. Ubuntu is a bunch of leeches.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    I recommend:
    gregkh_presentation_canonical.avi

Redhat does a lot. Novell does a lot. Ubuntu is a bunch of leeches.
    redhat only kills Con Kolivas !!!!

stole the idears of Kolivas and kick them out!

in a time over 2 years kolivas code in the kernel was much better for desktop and faster and all work well and redhat fuuu...... them out and but there own crappy loser code in it!

"In 2007, Kolivas announced in an email that he would cease developing for the Linux kernel. Discussing his reasons in a July 24 online interview, he expressed frustration with aspects of the mainline kernel development process, which he felt did not give sufficient priority to desktop interactivity,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Kolivas

redhat only kills linux on the desktop!

and... redhat try to kill debian by using LSB as a weapon LSB is an redhat only standart to fight .deb and debian by define .rpm as a standart packet format.

in the past .deb was always the better sulution but redhat don't care baut that redhat only wana make more Profit !

LSB is only to kill debian! redhat is LSB!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

"Debian, however, uses its own format, the deb package format, which predates rpm. Debian developers argue their format is superior to RPM, and that further changing the underlying package format of a distribution to satisfy the LSB is fairly unrealistic."
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 08-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.

oh come one. Are you even believing that crap? Did you even try Con's schedulers? Yes, there were some nice ideas - but they were not so great like his fanboys claimed them to be. And Ingo did credit Con for the idea, when he wrote cfs. Con acted like a diva afterwards and his fanboys went into a rage - but fanboys never see the facts.
    I have tried Con's schedulers and I was among the first to test Ingo's scheduler. Ingo was a very nice person to work with - and his scheduler had real advantages compared to Con for me.

Redhat 'kills' only in the sense that they are pushing gnome and crap like hal and pulseaudio. But Redhat is also top contributor to:
    kernel
    gcc
    glibc
    binutils
    X
    alsa
    gnome

Now show me a working desktop without sound....

LSB was never meant to kill anybody. And how do you come to that idiotic 'meant to kill debian' conclusion? Please explain that. I am sure it is hilarious.

your ability to ignore very important parts of an article is astounding.

To address this, the standard does not dictate what package format the software system must use for its own packages, merely that RPM must be supported to allow packages from third-party distributors to be installed on a conforming system.
    i'm guessing you've never heard of the debian package alien, which can install RPM's

the article does go on to note

the presence of the lsb-package "does not imply that we believe that Debian fully complies with the Linux Standard Base, and should not be construed as a statement that Debian is LSB-compliant." This theoretical possibility of Debian's non-compliance to LSB might be considered a valid criticism, however slight.
    but thats not really important. and having a single format that can be installed on every distribution but does not have to be the default format used by that distribution is a GOOD thing for the desktop. VERY GOOD.

it still allows distro's to use there own software while also allowing people to package a product that can be installed on all linuxes (assuming compatible libraries)

tell me how that is BAD for the desktop?

as for the kolivas thing, i see no meantion of red-hat in there - don't try to inject your own speculations as fact please, if you have another source that says it has soemthing to do with red hat, then use that one, but red hat does not run the linux kernel.

redhat supports game's for linux?
    red hats primary goal is obviously the workstation/server market - thats probably why they are in the line of buisness they are in. suggesting that is somehow makes them inherintly detrimental to linux is enourmously convoluted.

that said, actually, they employ one of the main nouveau driver devs. you know the open source nvidia drivers trying to bring 3d support - but i'm sure 3d support has nothing to do with helping out games, right? and thier early adoption of nouveau in fedora probably helped alot with testing the driver.

actually, its both - and its good for the linux community partly BECAUSE its a cow to mil for redhat - the fact that this is beyond you amazes me.
    Last edited by AdrenalineJunky; 08-10-2009 at 06:43 PM.