Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

Hybrid View

Default Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

Phoronix: Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

Just about three weeks ago the AMD developers working on the open-source ATI drivers had reached the milestone in their open-source 3D support for the R600/700 GPUs of having glxgears running on these two latest generations of ATI graphics processors. glxgears running itself isn't much, but it's an important step...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQyNg

That's interesting, is there a live image with that mesa+drm code already?

Default yiiiiiipeeeeaaaaeeee :-)

Thanks a lot 2 years ago i read abaut amd starts support opensource drivers..

in the last 2 years i buy only for me a x800,3850,4350,4670 and Pushes my nvidia 7900gt,6600,8600 out ! never ever Nvidia!

and my clients follow my words to so they buy lot of hd3200 IGP and so on.

GO AMD GO!

This is indeed excellent news, my next mobo will have an AMD IGP for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    That's interesting, is there a live image with that mesa+drm code already?
    There is little point in providing live images of some development code snapshot. And besides, if you use a proper distro, then upgrading to latest mesa and drm from git is just two commands away (and I am not referring to the commands mentioned here)

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    This is indeed excellent news, my next mobo will have an AMD IGP for sure
    That's funny. IGP has mostly been the only thing I've heard people having good performance with the current memcpy buffer swaps...
    There is little point in providing live images of some development code snapshot. And besides, if you use a proper distro, then upgrading to latest mesa and drm from git is just two commands away
    Very true. Even if it was more than two commands though (as it is in my case, I wouldn't be installing from ebuilds even if I was using Gentoo since I like to know exactly what I'm doing), I'd still be rather be installing to hard disk than using LiveCD's.

There is little point in providing live images of some development code snapshot.
    Kororaa did exactly that with the first AIGLX code and compiz, I don't see why someone couldn't do the same for R600 now...

Seriously? I didn't expect Compiz support before Mesa 7.7 and didn't expect Mesa 7.6 before November/December. Would be amazing to have it in the October-distribution-refreshes. Out of the box simple 3D for *all* AMD cards, remember!

Great work, devs!

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Seriously? I didn't expect Compiz support before Mesa 7.7 and didn't expect Mesa 7.6 before November/December. Would be amazing to have it in the October-distribution-refreshes. Out of the box simple 3D for *all* AMD cards, remember!

Great work, devs!
    I would have liked to be that enthusiast but this won't happen.
    To get a proper 3D support on r6xx/r7xx, you'll need the 2.6.32 (assuming the ATI devs would be in time to merge it to it next month).
    Ubuntu should use the 2.6.31 when release, so, there will be no 3D support for r6xx/r7xx cards on Ubuntu 9.10.

That being said, I would like to tell that advanced users should use rolling distro so as more users could contribute to bug reporting.

There is little point in providing live images of some development code snapshot. And besides, if you use a proper distro, then upgrading to latest mesa and drm from git is just two commands away (and I am not referring to the commands mentioned here)
    I think the idea is to have a simple way to test the new code without risking your current installation.

Yeah also working here, alt-tabbing is slow though but it's working! Good progress, the OpenGL game neverball also runs now (although with some flickering and artifacts).