Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: OpenGL3.2 on Catalyst Wine-GL-Exstansion

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    A shame, no one can send a patrol of lawyers after him to keep him quiet for a while.
    well, I suppose since he did not sign anything he does not have a valid licence to use the drivers in the first place - but I am not a lawyer

    The only problem I see is: in the past he claimed this and that great improvement 'because it was in a beta' and then it wasn't there in the final. Stuff like that hurts amd.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Yeah, you're right. And they should also be perfectly allowed to drop features from final versions even if they are in betas if they consider the features not to be mature enough yet. I'd be kinda interested to read the beta NDA some day mind. but I doubt they'd want to send me one unless I actually want to sign it. (which I don't, I've antipathies towards NDA's)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxdriver View Post
    Catalyst 9.8 already has 33% of the OpenGL 3.2 features.
    Corrected.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    I also haven't noticed any broken vertex shaders.
    The problem is really bad performance (especially at lower resolutions) with R600 cards, even under Windows XP [2.5x slower than Direct3D]

    Crappy vertex shader performance with complex shaders and a weird issue with the memory management.

    If you have an R600 card,try the Unigine Tropics benchmark under Windows XP with both renderers (Direct3D9 and OpenGL) at a lower resolution and compare the results. With OpenGL,aside from the ridiculously low framerate,you'll get occasional freezes/stutters as a bonus.
    With D3D9 it runs really fast and smooth as silk.

    Or try to play Serious Sam 2 in OpenGL mode.
    Last edited by tuxdriver; 08-16-2009 at 01:22 AM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Forget it, catalyst drivers suck hard, and I fail to see hoiw AMD can manage to stay in the GPU business with such crap drivers.

    Anyways, windows 9.8 catalyst will be out Monday, and can be had already if you know where to look. Let's just hope that the apocalypse has come and the linux catalysts actually have some sort of improvements in store, but I don't really have any hope as I gave up a couple releases ago... and especially since I've notice no mindbending chaniges inthe space-time continuum to indicate a wrinkle in the space-time continuum indicating quality AMD driver release.. [EDIT] OTOH I've noticed heightened aimless marketing BS from marketroids... along with teh supa awesome phenom ii 965 "wish we could catch up" release (2006 called and said he wants his CPUs back AMD) [/EDIT]

    Anyone have a GT280M drop in for a GT725 notebook? I need a GPU that actually has working drivers... i.e. not an AMD part

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme
    A shame, no one can send a patrol of lawyers after him to keep him quiet for a while.
    A Shame that no one can send a patrol of lawyers after AMD for not providing useable support for their products...
    Last edited by cutterjohn; 08-16-2009 at 02:50 AM.
    Sager NP8250-S Core i7-4800MQ/780m/32GB/128GB SSD/750GB Scorpio Black/1TB WD Blue(7mm) (win7 x64 pro)
    Acer Chromebook C720(i3-4005U/4GB) 128GB SSD(stable/crouton xfce)
    DIY ASUS P9X79/i7-3930k/64GB/multiple multiple terabyte HDDs(mostly WD 10k)/780 Ti SC (win7 x64 pro/Ubuntu 14.10)
    DIY ASROCK 990FX Extreme9/FX-9590/32GB/multiple multi-TB hdds/R9 280X

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    127

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
    Forget it, catalyst drivers suck hard, and I fail to see hoiw AMD can manage to stay in the GPU business with such crap drivers.

    Anyways, windows 9.8 catalyst will be out Monday, and can be had already if you know where to look. Let's just hope that the apocalypse has come and the linux catalysts actually have some sort of improvements in store, but I don't really have any hope as I gave up a couple releases ago... and especially since I've notice no mindbending chaniges inthe space-time continuum to indicate a wrinkle in the space-time continuum indicating quality AMD driver release.. [EDIT] OTOH I've noticed heightened aimless marketing BS from marketroids... along with teh supa awesome phenom ii 965 "wish we could catch up" release (2006 called and said he wants his CPUs back AMD) [/EDIT]

    Anyone have a GT280M drop in for a GT725 notebook? I need a GPU that actually has working drivers... i.e. not an AMD part

    A Shame that no one can send a patrol of lawyers after AMD for not providing useable support for their products...
    Ah, the trolls are back. I was already missing them...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    Hmm there are at least 2 tests from that guy

    One with 8.65.3(ATI Open GL Version 2.1.9000)
    http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...923-9841-16162

    and one with 8.65.4(OGL 2.1.9000)
    http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...30-28667-14083

    The leaked one was 8.54.2(OGL 2.1.8975) not .3 or was there anonther leak i'm not aware of?
    These are all the links I found:

    fglrx 8.65.4, OpenGL: 2.1.9007, 2009-07-28 07:06, Graphics: EG CYPRESS 1024MB cypress_run
    fglrx 8.65.4, OpenGL: 2.1.9008, 2009-07-29 09:10, Graphics: EG CYPRESS 1024MB startup
    fglrx 8.65.4, OpenGL: 2.1.9003, 2009-07-30 07:27, Graphics: EG CYPRESS 8.65_full
    fglrx 8.65.3, OpenGL: 2.1.9000, 2009-07-30 10:49, Graphics: EG CYPRESS 1024MB before_full_run
    fglrx 8.65.3, OpenGL: 2.1.9000, 2009-07-30 14:20, Graphics: EG CYPRESS 1024MB try_again

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxdriver View Post
    The problem is really bad performance (especially at lower resolutions) with R600 cards, even under Windows XP [2.5x slower than Direct3D]

    Crappy vertex shader performance with complex shaders and a weird issue with the memory management.

    If you have an R600 card,try the Unigine Tropics benchmark under Windows XP with both renderers (Direct3D9 and OpenGL) at a lower resolution and compare the results. With OpenGL,aside from the ridiculously low framerate,you'll get occasional freezes/stutters as a bonus.
    With D3D9 it runs really fast and smooth as silk.

    Or try to play Serious Sam 2 in OpenGL mode.
    Not that sadly, I really don't use windows much anymore. No reason to boot into it basically, as I don't have that much time spare to play games these days (too busy programming and watching movies when not working).
    Is there anything else you can suggest I try? I'm just interested in if it's really the drivers that are to blame, or game engines' handling of shaders.

  9. #39

    Default

    just noticed that the tests with the eg cypress were done with an intel processor... kinda seems unlikely it would be from AMD testing....

    though it is still possible someone got thier hands on a pre-production sample.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxdriver View Post
    The problem is really bad performance (especially at lower resolutions) with R600 cards, even under Windows XP [2.5x slower than Direct3D]
    Hardly that surprising, vendors have to ship their own fast path implementations for OpenGL as far as I've heard. The good side is that if a vendor has a fast implementation on Wndows, they probably also have in Linux. (like nVidi) The bad side is that if you don't have a fast OpenGL implementation to begin with, you don't just magically get it on either platform. (like with ATi)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •