Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: KDE 4.3.0 Desktop Released

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    yeah well I think kubuntu is bashed a bit too much ... Sure it's not as polished as gnome ubuntu is ... It gets ubuntu features latter on or never but overall it's not that bad really.

    OpenOffice.org KDE4 integration is something really nice, and all distros will benefit from it so here I guess kubuntu devs really are doing us all a favour.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I don't really see what's so unpolished in Kubuntu. I'm using KDE 4.3 in Kubuntu 9.04 and it's great!

    What do the other distros like Pardus offer that Kubuntu doesn't?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    I don't really see what's so unpolished in Kubuntu. I'm using KDE 4.3 in Kubuntu 9.04 and it's great!

    What do the other distros like Pardus offer that Kubuntu doesn't?
    Counter question: What does Kubuntu offer that other distros don't?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Counter question: What does Kubuntu offer that other distros don't?
    "Bugs" apparently, but I'm not seeing it..

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    KDE has turned into real crap. A lot of people don't like the new KDE 4 and several people wish it didn't change. Isn't there someone on here who thinks they have become more like Microsoft? So, the impression is they are taking away choice, features and options. Also, Linus Torvalds moved to Gnome and he didn't like Gnome for that reason and that is saying something (about KDE).

    I don't like many things in KDE although that is my preferred desktop but I am contemplating using a Gnome-based distro nowadays.

    I am tired of the SIG segfault crash in KDE but most of all, of certain applications that don't work right. Currently, I have a problem using the messager, Kopete, and since there aren't any other options (that I know of), I am stuck with the problem. I cannot use it since all contacts always appear 'offline' even though they are not.

    There are other issues with KDE 4 especially the way you move around accessing programs and applications. The KDE 3.5 method in which clicking the KMenu gave you several 'paths' to choose from was reduced to a slower, more routed pathway (I don't know how to describe) and it's much harder to find what you want. The only reason KDE 4 is liked by some fans is because it is more 'graphical' or visually pleasing compared to KDE 3.5. But, the mechanics of it is poor as the developers seem to address 'visuals' more than functionality.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    KDE has turned into real crap. A lot of people don't like the new KDE 4 and several people wish it didn't change.
    I guess there are _much_ more people who like KDE 4.3 and are happy about the changes it introduced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Isn't there someone on here who thinks they have become more like Microsoft? So, the impression is they are taking away choice, features and options.
    KDE 4.3 is almost all about feature parity with KDE 3.5 on top of the brand new desktop they gave us, how can you say it took away options and features? The point of introducing plasma was to make the desktop more flexible after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Also, Linus Torvalds moved to Gnome and he didn't like Gnome for that reason and that is saying something (about KDE).
    I don't see why Linus' opinion is something special compared to the opinion of any other (experienced) KDE user.
    Anyways, he didn't like KDE 4.0 and IIRC he regret moving away after he saw KDE 4.2 or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I am tired of the SIG segfault crash in KDE but most of all, of certain applications that don't work right. Currently, I have a problem using the messager, Kopete, and since there aren't any other options (that I know of), I am stuck with the problem. I cannot use it since all contacts always appear 'offline' even though they are not.
    Of course that's something that shouldn't happen - it was the case in 4.0, but has become a lot better. Actually, I even only rarely (once per month) see any segfaults in the current SVN versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    There are other issues with KDE 4 especially the way you move around accessing programs and applications. The KDE 3.5 method in which clicking the KMenu gave you several 'paths' to choose from was reduced to a slower, more routed pathway (I don't know how to describe) and it's much harder to find what you want. The only reason KDE 4 is liked by some fans is because it is more 'graphical' or visually pleasing compared to KDE 3.5. But, the mechanics of it is poor as the developers seem to address 'visuals' more than functionality.
    The new menu was designed with usuability in mind. New users should feel comfortable with from the first use and from what I heard they do. The downside is that users who are used to the old menu system need to rethink their habits.

    KDE 4 wasn't (only) about eye candy, it was also about usuability (e.g. the new menu), innovation (e.g. semantic desktop) and flexibility(e.g. plasma).


    EDIT: Note that my whole post is about KDE 4.3, KDE 4.0 is an old story

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBrain View Post
    I guess there are _much_ more people who like KDE 4.3 and are happy about the changes it introduced.
    How do you know that? You have some source of this?

    People don't have much of a choice if they want an up-to-date distro with the KDE desktop. I've read of way more negative than positive and the positive usually doesn't include applications mentioned of what they use.

    I've had several crashes on the KDE 4 desktop. But, that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just thought it is a bug and it might be addressed.

    But, various applications fare worse on KDE 4 and maybe it is because they are considered trivial programs. Who knows...

    But, I don't know what the raving is about by the fans. It doesn't deserve that at all.

  8. #38

    Default

    [QUOTE=Panix;87368]How do you know that? You have some source of this?[/QUOTE

    read http://dot.kde.org/2009/08/10/reviews-kde-43

    I found those reviews just googeling KDE 4.3 review. Just picked the biggest ones, and I didn't find any negative reviews. You'll also find the reactions of most, if not all users on forums, chat channels etc to be positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    People don't have much of a choice if they want an up-to-date distro with the KDE desktop. I've read of way more negative than positive and the positive usually doesn't include applications mentioned of what they use.
    I agree that the choice of good quality KDE distro's is a bit small. Ubuntu is well known for having big quality issues with their KDE packages. OpenSuse does a decent job, so do some smaller distro's like Arch (quite hardcore) and Pardux (quite new). Mandriva has a nice offering as well, even though I personally don't like it very much. I've heard positive stories about the more recent Fedora KDE packages as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I've had several crashes on the KDE 4 desktop. But, that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just thought it is a bug and it might be addressed.
    Yep, should be fixed. I suppose you tried the new bug report tool? Did you like it? Or are you talking about KDE 4.0 or 4.1 still? Those weren't meant for end users, as we said, and as distro's ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    But, various applications fare worse on KDE 4 and maybe it is because they are considered trivial programs. Who knows...
    Or because nobody took it upon them to properly port and improve them? You know, we can't tell anyone to do something they don't want to... If you have suggestions on getting ppl to do the boring stuff, let me know.

    Either way, with all the changes, some apps are bound to have regressed in some area's. But others have improved a lot, and I think it is unfair on your end not to acknowledge that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    But, I don't know what the raving is about by the fans. It doesn't deserve that at all.
    Let's follow occam's razor and assume most KDE users consider 4.3 to be better than 3.5? It certainly is in many areas.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parish, NY
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    blah blah blah blah snip
    There are other issues with KDE 4 especially the way you move around accessing programs and applications. The KDE 3.5 method in which clicking the KMenu gave you several 'paths' to choose from was reduced to a slower, more routed pathway (I don't know how to describe) and it's much harder to find what you want. The only reason KDE 4 is liked by some fans is because it is more 'graphical' or visually pleasing compared to KDE 3.5. But, the mechanics of it is poor as the developers seem to address 'visuals' more than functionality.
    I don't know what, exactly, it is that you did with KDE 3.5, but as of 4.2 (to say nothing of 4.3) the vast majority of the functionality is back. Just because things are accomplished in a different way doesn't mean that it isn't there.

    And if you'd spent more than five minutes reading about or using any KDE release after 4.0.1, you'd realize that the "traditional" KMenu has been ported to plasma (right-click on Kickoff's icon and there's an option for "switch to classic menu style).

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Right click on the Kmenu, select "Classic menu", done, lol.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •