Thread: Black Screen instead of login Screen

Default Black Screen instead of login Screen

I have a Ubuntu 9.04 install with kernel 2.6.30-rc7. I can't seem to get it to display a normal screen. Just a black login screen. Is my GDM or X.org trashed. X.org said there was no device driver line or some thing like that. I just want to get this computer working. XP works fine on this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
    I have a Ubuntu 9.04 install with kernel 2.6.30-rc7. I can't seem to get it to display a normal screen. Just a black login screen. Is my GDM or X.org trashed. X.org said there was no device driver line or some thing like that. I just want to get this computer working. XP works fine on this computer.
    Details such as driver version, what steps you have tried, xorg.conf, did you install via apt-get or through the installer. If you provide such details it makes it alot easier to troubleshoot the issue. Also list what card you have as well. We can't read minds.

I have an nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320 MB. I've tried to fix the X.org by creating new ones but it doesn't work. I installed it through a PPA. I used Michael Marley's PPA.

I have the 185.18.04 or something like that. I might also have 185.18.14
    Last edited by rv65; 07-24-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Hello,

I've got the same problem with a Lenovo T61 and NV140 Quadro GPU. The X-server starts, just the screen remains black, it looks like the display gets turned off.

190 BETA works.