Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: No Intel Poulsbo Driver For Ubuntu 9.10

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,625

    Default No Intel Poulsbo Driver For Ubuntu 9.10

    Phoronix: No Intel Poulsbo Driver For Ubuntu 9.10

    Intel's Poulsbo driver for their GMA 500 IGP on the SCH U15W is a bloody mess. Unlike their X.Org driver for their other Intel IGPs, the Poulsbo driver is closed-source (since they licensed some of the technologies for this graphics processor), but the problems go beyond just whether or not you like to use a binary blob...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQzMg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default Dell Mini 12

    I just spent half a day making my daughter's Dell Mini 12 dual boot XP and Ubuntu 9.04, and it was a nightmare. Eventually I got a good 2d stable desktop using the PPA psb repository and a few xorg.conf tweaks. The real kicker was when I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.28-15 and the driver said NO. Works fine with 2.6.28-14. With 2.6.30-4 all I got was a black screen.

    So it runs OK as long as there are no kernel upgrades. I fiddled the Grub menu.lst to make 2.6.28-14 the default.

    This little news item means the Mini 12 will be stuck at 9.04 for the rest of it's working life. Or, maybe a clever person will reverse engineer the hardware. We can only hope.

    I cannot see me ever buying another computer with this chipset unless Intel does something positive. I have a suggestion, Intel should buy the company that made the GMA500, and then open source the hardware. I am sure it would be petty cash to them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    I have a suggestion, Intel should buy the company that made the GMA500, and then open source the hardware. I am sure it would be petty cash to them.
    I'd say the recent raise of Intel participation in ImgTec is not totally innocent...

    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    where did Ubuntu say no? they've said yes to this in the past, they'd gladly bend over and take the blob if Intel would give it to them.

    Intel have no interest in giving it to them despite Canonical asking for it.
    Exactly. Should Canonical have any business with Ubuntu 9.10 and Poulsbo devices, Intel would update the drivers. However, since they have nothing to present to Intel... And I'd prefer Intel spend time working on drivers for newer chips or adding (backporting) newer features to existing Poulsbo drivers, rather than working on drivers for a distribution that nobody will be using for real on this market.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    I'd say the recent raise of Intel participation in ImgTec is not totally innocent...



    Exactly. Should Canonical have any business with Ubuntu 9.10 and Poulsbo devices, Intel would update the drivers. However, since they have nothing to present to Intel... And I'd prefer Intel spend time working on drivers for newer chips or adding (backporting) newer features to existing Poulsbo drivers, rather than working on drivers for a distribution that nobody will be using for real on this market.
    Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially. Will Dell simply throw up it's hands and stop selling Ubuntu Minis because driver support is lagging behind? Perhaps Canonical and Dell might point out how many sales will go begging unless the driver is updated and refined. Binary blobs do not bother me as long as they work. Nvidia is still the best Linux option by a mile, the AMD open source goodies still have a way to go. I would be happy with an updated and 3D working blob, as I do now with Nvidia. Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.

    We will have to wait and see.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially. Will Dell simply throw up it's hands and stop selling Ubuntu Minis because driver support is lagging behind? Perhaps Canonical and Dell might point out how many sales will go begging unless the driver is updated and refined. Binary blobs do not bother me as long as they work. Nvidia is still the best Linux option by a mile, the AMD open source goodies still have a way to go. I would be happy with an updated and 3D working blob, as I do now with Nvidia. Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.

    We will have to wait and see.
    Dell will keep shipping them with 9.04 for as long as necessary. Ubuntu does a lot of these one off deals with OEMs and generally after a single release they go to crap.

    Dave.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially.
    Dell is not selling any notebook with Ubuntu 9.10. Please read what I wrote again. AFAIK, they are using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and this is a supported platform. It's even so with currently released IEGD driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.
    I hope so even with HW video decoding acceleration using the dedicated ASIC... Currently, Intel remains the dominant player FOSS wise, even though this does not cover Poulsbo yet. Next is NVIDIA with very good quality drivers too, though totally proprietary and without any hope for this to change, IMHO.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    Dell is not selling any notebook with Ubuntu 9.10. Please read what I wrote again. AFAIK, they are using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and this is a supported platform. It's even so with currently released IEGD driver.



    I hope so even with HW video decoding acceleration using the dedicated ASIC... Currently, Intel remains the dominant player FOSS wise, even though this does not cover Poulsbo yet. Next is NVIDIA with very good quality drivers too, though totally proprietary and without any hope for this to change, IMHO.
    Well as 9.10 does not come out until October it is hardly surprising that they do not sell it yet. I guess my point was that to keep selling they will eventually have to move up to the next LTS, which at the moment they will not be able to do. Dell do offer a 9.04 upgrade image. And, yes, other Intel products are very well supported. I have an EeePC 900 running a heavily modified Kubuntu (KDE 4.3, 2.6.30 and latest xorg and intel driver) that runs very well.

    My daughters Mini 12 runs well enough for now, without 3d effects.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    what a shitty blob. good that ubuntu simply says no to this shit.

    it is intel's task to provide a proper driver, if they don't do it, it's their problem.
    simply buy no intel products as long as they mess around with their costumers...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Great stuff. Its looking like the ONLY good GPU is an AMD...
    Amazing how things change.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
    Great stuff. Its looking like the ONLY good GPU is an AMD...
    Amazing how things change.
    The Intel GMA 500 is a one-off thing, apparently. I hope that future versions of the Atom get rid of that shit stain of a graphics card.

    It sucks too because a lot of people are buying mini-12s and mini-10s and those use the proprietary driver.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •