Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

Default A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

Phoronix: A Late X Server 1.7 Means No Update For Ubuntu 9.10

There's twelve days left until the release of X Server 1.7 and X.Org 7.5! Wait, there still is not even an X Server 1.7 Beta, which should have happened last month, so chances are slim to none on seeing a final release this month. The release schedule for X Server 1.7 / X.Org 7.5 has already slipped a few times, after it was supposed to be released back in April. X Server 1.7 will finally introduce X Input 2.0 and Multi-Pointer X along with some other improvements, but the tardiness of this release is beginning to jeopardize its inclusion into the next round of distribution updates for the Q3~Q4 refresh...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQzNA

Take your time to make it right, I will stick to my nvidia binary stack for one more year.

I for one don't get it. Fedora has nouveau in 11 and it's, from my experience, working really good. Much faster than the binary drivers.

Maybe it's because they have Kristian and Dave

OpenSuSE 11.2 and Fedora 12 are targeted for release in November, and they both have hopes for using the new X Server
    Actually openSUSE has already decided because of the delays, X Server 1.7 and X.Org 7.5 will most definitely not be in 11.2. The 2.6.31 kernel will be in it but not the often delayed X projects.

https://features.opensuse.org/306903
    Last edited by deanjo; 08-05-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jteb View Post
    I for one don't get it. Fedora has nouveau in 11 and it's, from my experience, working really good. Much faster than the binary drivers.

Maybe it's because they have Kristian and Dave
    You will understand when I say I'm using a 8800GTX for OpenGL 3.2 dev works. Does the stable nouveau suit the job? sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    You will understand when I say I'm using a 8800GTX for OpenGL 3.2 dev works. Does the stable nouveau suit the job? sigh....
    it does however have the "stable" thing going on, a feature nvidia cannot boast.

Well, that stinks. I am sure it will be in a PPA, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeeman View Post
    it does however have the "stable" thing going on, a feature nvidia cannot boast.
    Mileages may vary

My nvidia binary experience has been very good for the past 5 months.

However, someone in here states that fglrx has been good (read, fast, stable, blah) for a long time that I just can't understand. To me there is nothing worse than using fglrx to do anything.

So while I can't convince you that fglrx is bad, so can't you convince me that nvidia binary blob is bad. It suits my need, it served its purpose. Just like what fglrx did to you all.

I can be happy as long as there's a PPA for it I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by Redeeman View Post
    LMAO, nouveau is about as "stable" Charles Manson.