Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new laptop - what shall I get?

@mattparlane

I can give you a newer version when you visit me in IRC #kanotix on irc.freenode.net - it is not released but not hard to get Just a valid nickname required.

@Qaridarium

When you are in a shop and see ONLY the dedicated chip on the specs, do you think it has 2 then enabled the same time? But why should the consumer need to select a laptop that runs with fglrx? That setup must be something that is recommended for laptops, so it has to be supported!!!!
    Last edited by Kano; 08-08-2009 at 05:11 AM.

Yep, and as long as the setup is implemented the way we recommend then the laptop works with fglrx.

It's not confirmed yet, but it appears we're dealing with a few laptops which were not implemented the way we recommended, ie did not include the BIOS options to disable one of the two GPUs for use with Linux and other OSes. Until we find out exactly what happened, the simple and safe answer is for Linux users to look for a single GPU laptop or one which has BIOS options to switch between integrated and discrete GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @Qaridarium

When you are in a shop and see ONLY the dedicated chip on the specs, do you think it has 2 then enabled the same time? But why should the consumer need to select a laptop that runs with fglrx? That setup must be something that is recommended for laptops, so it has to be supported!!!!
    why sould i be stubit and buy somthing like that?

in my point of view i hate laptops/notebooks u hate onboard IGP's to.

in my point of view a real VGA is the best way to go there no need to be an big one an 4350 is big enaf 5 watt powerconsuming is not to high.

i think IGP VGAs are crapshitbugparty-

why not buy an notebook with real hartware and no shit in it ?

@bridgman

Of course when you are in a shop you look into the bios before you buy something, do you?

@Qaridarium

AMD laptop chipsets basically have all IGP even when you buy a system with dedicated vga chip. Usually the video driver switches over to IGP when running on battery until you disable that.
    Last edited by Kano; 08-10-2009 at 07:05 AM.

[QUOTE=Kano;86397
    @Qaridarium
    AMD laptop chipsets basically have all IGP even when you buy a system with dedicated vga chip. Usually the video driver switches over to IGP when running on battery until you disable that.[/QUOTE]

realyyyy i do not have a notbook :-)

and the only one in my house mum's is an intelcpu-intel-igp+nvidiavga notebook.

and i hate this notebook usb is broken only usb1.1 but its an usb2.0 chipset..

the sound is very loud fucking shit and the nvidia vga is hott like hell.

all over all this Centrino notebook Boil-Water in no time its very loud and the VGA switch button is buggy to on linux you boot sometime in the wrong modus and x will NOTT start!

realy i hate notebooks!

i can give you an exaktly typ-and-list of the hartware -... but in near future i will sell this crappy intelnotebook out...
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 08-10-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Linux does not support switching gfx on the fly. Best select one of it and it should work. Compare

lspci -nn

Without installed nvidia binary it would be possible to boot with any chipset selected, just no 3d active vor nvidia then. If i would have such a laptop i would write a on boot install/uninstall of the correct driver however
    Last edited by Kano; 08-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Responding to the first post, skip anything by Asus; they've sold out completely to Microsoft now and openly attack anything non-Windows.

I've had very good experience with a Dell D830 on Linux. It's a bit bulky (15.4''), but offers an excellent 1680x1050 screen, keyboard and great Linux support (everything works straight out of the box).

I'm using it for programming all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Linux does not support switching gfx on the fly. Best select one of it and it should work. Compare

lspci -nn

Without installed nvidia binary it would be possible to boot with any chipset selected, just no 3d active vor nvidia then. If i would have such a laptop i would write a on boot install/uninstall of the correct driver however
    its not an big problem... for me.. but for DAU's/noobs it s hart to realice the fakt that is do not "work" in the same "windows" way..

in my point of view i realy will drop this shit intel/nvidia notebook out!

next one will be an desktop with a single VGA! or an notebook with an single VGA!

As always the same thing can be hard to use for a noob and easy for a pro, so it is not clear what to suggest for others. But some things are faulty by design and that is called fglrx...