Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Hybrid View

Default Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.27 Released With New Support

Three weeks have passed since the release of Wine 1.1.26, but having an extra week has not led to any particularly great changes within the just-released 1.1.27 version. What has changed in Wine 1.1.27 is a new version of the Gecko web rendering engine, GSM 06.10 codec support, improved support for the disk volume APIs, and support for XShm pixmaps to improve the graphics performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQzNw

You will be amazed how cool each release is, if you read through the bug fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    You will be amazed how cool each release is, if you read through the bug fixes.
    You know what? I thought I was the only person that found himself annoyed by the summary. Slanted journalism is really becoming a problem on phoronix because they're constantly minimizing the importance of bug fixing.

Any sane person would trade 3 bug fixes for one new feature. The funny part is most of Wine's progress is measured by getting Windows apps to work properly - which equates to bug fixes.

Yes, it is unbelievable the bugs they fix.

Imagine first have to debug binary code, and then reverse engineer it, and then write WINE code that talks to the binary blob in the right way.

Just read some of the bug titles. It is so impressive that they are able to fix these obscure bugs.

I am also one of those that don't care one bit about Linux gaming. So what if a game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything.

What I do care about is WINE being able to play a game, that it wasn't before! That's news!

Anyone that is porting games to Linux, should stop what they are doing, and start working on WINE.

When WINE in complete, Linux users can play ALL Windows games, and not having to wait for someone to port it.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Anyone that is porting games to Linux, should stop what they are doing, and start working on WINE.

When WINE in complete, Linux users can play ALL Windows games, and not having to wait for someone to port it.
    1. Huh?
    2. Wine will never be finished because windows is always changing.
    3. D3D
    4. We dont need an emulator OS
    5. I cant play COD4 over wine, I can but its too slow to compete.
    6. Huh?

For OpenGL games that should be already true as for example Doom 3 via wine is not much slower than native. D3D however is often much slower (and more complex). Then a highend 3d card delivers the speed of a lowend one.

I can't believe what you are saying? Wine is a good alternative yes, but I would much rather play a native game.

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    I can't believe what you are saying? Wine is a good alternative yes, but I would much rather play a native game.
    Actually technically Wine is a neat wrapper for closed source programs since if the game was a native Linux game, the company would sooner or later give up on updates and then the game would break due to ABI compatibility issues. With Wine people there's the opensource community writing updates so it will keep being compatible with the newest and shiniest Linux releases. The programs are coded against WinAPI and thus they will keep working as long as Wine is maintained and regressions get fixed.
    Note that I'm not saying native Linux games are by any means bad. I'm just saying there's more than one point of view on it that has sound reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Actually technically Wine is a neat wrapper for closed source programs since if the game was a native Linux game, the company would sooner or later give up on updates and then the game would break due to ABI compatibility issues. With Wine people there's the opensource community writing updates so it will keep being compatible with the newest and shiniest Linux releases. The programs are coded against WinAPI and thus they will keep working as long as Wine is maintained and regressions get fixed.
    Note that I'm not saying native Linux games are by any means bad. I'm just saying there's more than one point of view on it that has sound reasoning.
    Great if your running microsoft word but as far as heavier 3D apps are concerned, it helps if wine is able to run them to well enough begin with. Your point is very valid if wine was perfect and applications actually ran well on it but in all honesty most applications dont run on wine and the ones that do have bugs, destroyed features or slow frame rates. Maybe it will break compatibilty (even though I have never had this issue, ever) but I like my software working for me, not me working for my software.