Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

I'd like to see Fedora, RHEL/CentOS and Sabayon/Gentoo [Default and totally optimized!] included in the comparison.

I agree with previous posters that boot times are a must for this test. I also think each platform should concentrate on a single filesystem if possible (ext4 on Linux until BtrFS is better optimized).

It might be wise to split the test into multiple groups, one for each platform (Linux and BSD) and then putting the winners (if there is a clear winner, or a selection of winners) against OpenSolaris and OS X.

I think it would be good to include different branches of Linux and Sabayon is an interesting branch of Gentoo. Easy to install, rolling updates and includes most everything out of the box. I haven't tried it recently, but they have a new update due the end of the month (5.0). Would be a good way to get the Gentoo branch included.

Default Archlinux

Archlinux - it is a performance beast and always one of if not the most up to date linux distro with it's rolling release architecture. Not to mention that AUR already has phoronix text suite.

i really don't think having half a billion linux distro's is a good idea, for one, it will take micheal forever for two it will just get in the way.

personally i think max 1 current community distro, and one stable/enterprise distro. as enterprise distro's tend to be a bit behind the curve, i think that would make for an interesting look at how things have progressed.

current community would most likely be ubuntu as thats whats usually benchmarked... though fedora/arch/mandriva/etc would work fine. personally i'd like to see arch as it represents very up to date developments.

Gentoo?
    I know that you have to configure gentoo and etc. But from LiveCD i Think configuring is less dificult (and time consuming)

And Mandriva, DreamLinux and stock Debian

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Waiting on someone to send me some new Apple hardware then...
    You could also use a Linux distro with a non broken Intel driver,

Just make sure you also give 64-bit LInux a chance, otherwise M@c0$ will win again...

Quote Originally Posted by supert0nes View Post
    Archlinux - it is a performance beast and always one of if not the most up to date linux distro with it's rolling release architecture. Not to mention that AUR already has phoronix text suite.
    Oh, yeah. Arch please :> It will be 'slower' in some SQL tests, but just because of some change:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=3

Just make sure you also give 64-bit LInux a chance
    Naturally 64-bit should be tested. Isn't OS X using 64-bit capabilities like someone mentioned in another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Naturally 64-bit should be tested. Isn't OS X using 64-bit capabilities like someone mentioned in another thread?
    Yup, also the new OSX will be pure 64 bit as they say.
    Also, if only Ubuntu is used, then the comparison will be between a new product (OSX) and a distro that will be 4 months old. Thus, to stay in the real world, two distros should be used.
    i) Ubuntu 9.04 or preferably Fedora 11 which is newer both 64 bit (only if there is time and 32 bit as well)
    ii) Arch or if possible Sabayon or gentoo so to be able to test our modern features and software in this modern hardware.

(Truth be told I don't really think it will be a big trouble to have a test of Arch as well along with Ubuntu. It worths the time if we want the benchmarks to be fair).
    Last edited by Apopas; 08-15-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    actually intel knows that they can save on manufacturing costs and use less electricity by keeping the atom 32bit - which for its intended platform is very important.

as for the sse2 thing - thats a horrible arguement as the attom supports sse2/3/4.

for some things portability and battery life are more important the extreme processing power - and sometimes people only need a simple internet or multimedia machine and don't want to spend alot. for both of those, the atom is a great product.
    no thats a good argument becourse:
    debian-i386=486!!!!
    debian-amd64=64bit+sse2

you are a laier if you say you can use sse3 on the atom with an defauld desktop linux distri!

"save on manufacturing costs"

only becourse they must pay lizence per cpu to amd for the 64bit part!