Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Hybrid View

Default AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

It's taken quite a while, but AMD has finally delivered support for the Linux 2.6.29 kernel within their Catalyst driver. The Linux 2.6.29 kernel was released in March, but it has taken until today for AMD to release any support for this kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ2Mw

Great! Finally I can switch to F11 repos and do yum upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by blindfrog View Post
    Great! Finally I can switch to F11 repos and do yum upgrade
    Don't count on it...looks like FC11 + DRI2 + FGLRX = FTL

Each time I use FGLRX on FC11 X86_64 I get hard locks after using Gnome for about 1-10 minutes (nothing in the logs).

Does any one have better experience?

I am using an HP 6930p with RadeonHD 3650

Seems to work OK in Gentoo with kernel 2.6.30-r5. Resizing/maximizing problem still there. The mplayer (gl backend) GUI corruption in KDE4 with desktop effects enabled problems seem to have been fixed though; haven't seen any menus and buttons in SMPlayer going missing/replaced with garbage yet.

No change with Xv+Composite, but one thing is cool. I ran Street Fighter 4 benchmark with wine 1.1.26. Before my computer froze when I changed the resolution of the test, now it is ok. Still not playable (image is flickering) but it is a good step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by rafi View Post
    No change with Xv+Composite, but one thing is cool. I ran Street Fighter 4 benchmark with wine 1.1.26. Before my computer froze when I changed the resolution of the test, now it is ok. Still not playable (image is flickering) but it is a good step forward.
    What problems do you experience with Xv+Composite?

Well, like with the 9.7, the image get blurred when the window of the video player is on the left of the screen and the video is black after minimizing the video player (vlc and smplayer tested). To get the image back I just have to resize the window, so there is no real problem with Xv+composite, I just wanted to say that it didn't get better. Anyway the little improvement in wine is cool.

Ho-hum. No XvBA support. So glad I switched to Nvidia for my HTPC. My 780g board is now relegated to the living room web browser 'net top'. Glad to see AMD making progress, but the lack of accelerated video support on par with VDPAU is really just sad at this point. Just sad. I'll say it again. Sad.

91.7mb? Don't you just love to hate AMD/ATi

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    91.7mb? Don't you just love to hate AMD/ATi
    and? all of a sudden size matters?