Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Again, that's a bad assumption. Most of the reasons for not discussing features in advance have nothing to do with competition.

"Announcing something in advance, hoping it works out, and hoping you'll wait" is not how we like to do things. Maybe we should, but you won't see me arguing for it.
    Ok, but if you know for sure you will never support something, surely you should just tell us. I get the impression you've done XvBA internally for fglrx, but aren't releasing it publically for some reason - and that reason might be something that isn't going to go away.

Anyway, I hear that VDPAU isn't without issues, so maybe I would be equally unhappy using that...

If we knew that we were never going to support decode acceleration I think we would tell you.

@Bridgman:
    Why not? I remember seeing a roadplan for features here on Phoronix a while back, so why can't you discuss this here? Is it just policy? Is it because of a NDA? Just curious ofcourse I'd rather have Gallium3D r6xx driver anyway

That was probably for the open source drivers, where I was just summarizing where the community felt we should all be going - not "AMD saying that we are going to deliver feature XYZ".

That was probably for the open source drivers, where I was just summarizing where the community felt we should all be going - not "AMD saying that we are going to deliver feature XYZ".
    OMG time flies =x No it was the AMD Catalyst roadplan but I see it's from 2008 and it said Protected HD Playback on Linux (OEM only) for version 8.xx. I guess the roadmap is too old :P

I don't remember seeing that - is there a link ?

Yeah here are the two pictures from a Dutch website: http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/news/...river_roadmap/

That looks like a leak, not something we released...

That looks like a leak, not something we released...
    leak do not mean not true.

But yes catalyst 9.11 will show us the true abaut UVD2 on linux

Talking 9.9 catalyst fix the shame!

Hi Yall and Bridgman

sorry about the "E", late night posts mean my attention to detail wanes.

Thanks also for the note of clarification and I appreciate the wee dance you have to do, between what you are allowed to say and/vs what it is users want to know.

duffster does have a (imho), valid point. I would *not* have dumped my 4870/512, if I had known you guys were working on closed source HD decode, driver code (come on Dirk, hire some more coders to do the Linux thing-please). A year later and I'm getting a tad itchy and I'm in the dark, to wit mushroomed....

So, please do release roadmaps and it would hardly do you any harm, with your competitor having a actualized feature (HD decode), saying, "watch this space!"

So much then for feature requests from loyal customerz.

Have a fun weekend.

*BFN*
    GreekGeek. :-)
    Last edited by GreekGeek; 09-05-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: I borked the title .