Thread: R.I.P. Linux on PS3 Nov 2007 - Aug 2009

Default R.I.P. Linux on PS3 Nov 2007 - Aug 2009

Well it looks like it was announced today that Sony's new slim version of PS3 will kill linux support. That and PS2 compatibility was also axed to help them bring down the cost of the unit. If you want to install linux on a PS3 then you might want to grab some of the older sku's while you still can. At this point it's puts into question if current distro's maintaining a PPC release should even bother with the added maintenance.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/s...s-slimmer-ps3/
    Last edited by deanjo; 08-18-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Well, that was dumb of them. I imagine the scientific computing community is a little displeased at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Well, that was dumb of them. I imagine the scientific computing community is a little displeased at the moment.
    Probably not. Most of the major projects are using GPGPU solutions which are far more efficient per watt anyways.

An interesting comparison I ran across a while back.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/640/4

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    That and PS2 compatibility was also axed to help them bring down the cost of the unit.
    AFAIK they haven't actually made any PS2-compatible PS3s for about a year. I doubt that anyone other than naive fanboys was seriously expecting it in the Slim.

Cutting Other OS is pretty obnoxious. It might end up coming back to bite them, though; Other OS was a major reason that the top homebrew hackers weren't trying to bust open PS3's security. I guess BD-J is now the only "legit" hope we have for unlicensed code that actually runs on all PS3s, and Sony's been hard at work making that a pain in the ass too (it used to be possible to run Java apps from USB/SD/Memory Stick via the AVCHD support, but they apparently "fixed" that).