Thread: fglrx crashes when "restoring recent mode"

Default fglrx crashes when "restoring recent mode"

Hi,

I have recently installed a HD-4650 into my docking station, in order to override my laptop's internal V5250 chip. (The unfortunate side effect of this is that I am still stuck using Catalyst 9.3 unless I decide not to undock my laptop until xorg-drv-ati and Mesa can replace fglrx entirely.)

I have attached a 1920x1020 monitor to my HD4650 card, which is running as the primary graphics device. (V5250 is deactivated while HD4650 is present.) However, the X server is crashing immediately after the line:

(II) fglrx(0): Restoring recent mode: 1680x1050@60Hz

1680x1050 is the native resolution of the laptop's own panel, and the stack trace shows that the X server was in xf86SetViewport / dixLookupPrivate. My current theory is that fglrx is trying to restore the last known "good" resolution (for the wrong hardware), and I am hoping that I will have better luck if I can switch directly into the monitor's native mode of 1920x1200@60Hz instead.

Can someone tell me how to clear out the persistent daatabase entries containing the defunct mode, please?

Thanks,
    Chris

Try deleting the amdpcsdb file (but not the backups, templates etc..) and running aticonfig --initial again.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Try deleting the amdpcsdb file (but not the backups, templates etc..) and running aticonfig --initial again.
    Cheers, deleting the amdpcsdb file was enough.

P.S. fglrx 9.3 is crashing when I log out of X. It never did this with just the V5250 chip (which is now inactive on the PCI bus), so I'm assuming it's to do with the HD4650. I don't suppose this is a known problem with an equally well-known workaround, please?

Thanks,
    Chris

I'm not sure, but I *think* there used to be an issue with atieventsd and quitting out of X. Not sure though, but try searching with atieventsd and see if you get anything useful.