Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?
    I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.

my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
    pity, I liked pidgin....

Quote Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
    my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
    pity, I liked pidgin....
    I agree, but like this we have now one more nice IM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smiteme/4170866438/

Quote Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
    I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/servic...ktopcomparison

or hire a freelancer

Has anyone actually gotten this to work? So far I've tried using two diffrent Jabber servers and two different computers with two different accounts and the exact same software, and I can't get it to work. The voice/video options stays grayed out for me. BTW XMPP is all I care about, the proprietary protocols that lock you into a single server and keep breaking compatibility with third-party programs is really annoying. XMPP/Jabber/GTalk gives you much more freedom.

Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.

Does video/audio work well, I mean without artefacts on a normal computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.
    Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.
    I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!
    Well, that's odd, but if you say that even kopete doesn't work for you maybe you make a common mistake in your configuration.