Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haifa
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?
    I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.

  2. #22

    Default

    my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
    pity, I liked pidgin....

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
    my opinion is that if they had just made this sort of an effort sooner, empathy may not have gained the userbase it did
    pity, I liked pidgin....
    I agree, but like this we have now one more nice IM

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/smiteme/4170866438/
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
    I'll pay. I use Linux (Kubuntu currently) because I like quality software, not because I am cheap. I would gladly pay if it meant that the devs would give a shit about the features or bug fixes I file.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/servic...ktopcomparison

    or hire a freelancer

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Has anyone actually gotten this to work? So far I've tried using two diffrent Jabber servers and two different computers with two different accounts and the exact same software, and I can't get it to work. The voice/video options stays grayed out for me. BTW XMPP is all I care about, the proprietary protocols that lock you into a single server and keep breaking compatibility with third-party programs is really annoying. XMPP/Jabber/GTalk gives you much more freedom.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Does video/audio work well, I mean without artefacts on a normal computer?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Pidgin and Empathy are the top IM programs? So, I should use one instead of Kopete? Kopete has recently been giving me headaches (well, it's NOT working for me) so I wanted to try an alternative.
    Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Well, it depends also what desktop environment you use. If you don't mind though to install a lot of libraries if you don't use gnome, then you can always give a try. I, at least, find Pidgin very useable.
    I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I just tried it and NOTHING! It just displays, 'Available - Connecting' forever and I can't add anyone. Looks like yet another POS IM program in Linux!
    Well, that's odd, but if you say that even kopete doesn't work for you maybe you make a common mistake in your configuration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •