Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I don't know if you guys like to read faulty and absurd statement like this one "Osx it's an only 25$ MUST BUY".
    AFte working 18 hours on a benchmark and writing pages of reviews you can easily forget some details. While I agree that the article advertises Apple beyond that is acceptable, I can also understand someone to use some phrases he maybe shouldn't after he have done a ahrd work.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    AFte working 18 hours on a benchmark and writing pages of reviews you can easily forget some details. While I agree that the article advertises Apple beyond that is acceptable, I can also understand someone to use some phrases he maybe shouldn't after he have done a ahrd work.
    The most it did was advertise OSX to Apple users. I don't see that being especially discriminating. It's not like you could use OSX in a non-Mac anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    It's not like you could use OSX in a non-Mac anyway.
    As far as I've understand one of qwerty's biggest objection is that Michael should mention that. I don't consider it thus important since the users of this forum are over the casual computer user and now these things nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    your side is for 10.5 not for 10.6

"OpenGL

The AGL framework in Mac OS X v10.5 adds support for the following features:

Support for multiple OpenGL threads, which increases performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto separate threads where they can be processed by available processor cores.

Attaching an AGL context to WindowRef and HIView objects, thus eliminating the need to use a QuickDraw port

Pixel buffer objects

Color managed texture images in the sRGB color space

Improvements in the shader programming API

Support for 64-bit addressing

In addition to the improvements to the OpenGL support itself, Mac OS X v10.5 includes updates to the OpenGL profiling tools to help you analyze your OpenGL programs and gather performance statistics.

For information about the AGL support, see AGL Reference. "
    Why are you opening up 10.5 release notes? The link takes you to the 10.6 notes.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    MS, Apple, Sun do this.
    As do pretty much any projects that are not PD, GPL included.
    Proprietary prohibits me from the same or there's just no good code? :P The point is why my (in example) good code should serve other people, companies which don't serve me?
    Hey, if you want to keep something to yourself then by all means do so. It is you code after all. This can be achieved though GPL or Proprietary licenses (again same shit different pile). If you want to benefit all however you use PD.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Hey, if you want to keep something to yourself then by all means do so. It is you code after all. This can be achieved though GPL or Proprietary licenses (again same shit different pile). If you want to benefit all however you use PD.
    I just got a funny vision while travelling in a bus. What if all software would be judged on originality and if a required degree of originality isn't achieved, it would automatically go to Public Domain since copyrights are only applicable to original pieces of work anyway? (yeah, I was a bit bored)
    End conclusions: most GUI's including Gnome's, KDE's, Apple's and Microsoft's would automatically become Public Domain since they're not really that original.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I just got a funny vision while travelling in a bus. What if all software would be judged on originality and if a required degree of originality isn't achieved, it would automatically go to Public Domain since copyrights are only applicable to original pieces of work anyway? (yeah, I was a bit bored)
    End conclusions: most GUI's including Gnome's, KDE's, Apple's and Microsoft's would automatically become Public Domain since they're not really that original.
    Heh alternatively we would all have Xerox systems.

Why are you opening up 10.5 release notes? The link takes you to the 10.6 notes.
    10.6 notes do not have any openGL infos only links to

http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...roduction.html

and this one links to: http://developer.apple.com/mac/libra...reference.html

and there is an red mark on :
    Managing Drawable Objects
    "CGLSetFullScreen Deprecated in Mac OS X v10.6 Deprecated. Use CGLSetFullScreenOnDisplay instead.)" /> "

is that the problem?

As long as you consider anarchy and freedom one and the same, then yes they are almost the same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    As long as you consider anarchy and freedom one and the same, then yes they are almost the same shit.
    Can you show me one example where PD has hurt anyone?