Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 149

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Can you show me one example where PD has hurt anyone?
    Despite that everyone can take the code, make a proprietary closed source application under a very restrictive license that forbids me from using it freely? No I can't...

  2. #122
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Despite that everyone can take the code, make a proprietary closed source application under a very restrictive license that forbids me from using it freely? No I can't...
    It hasn't effected the PD code in any such way that it can harm it. The original code stays PD. If someone goes and makes their mods and decides not to reveal those mods that is their right. Once in the PD code cannot take a step backwards, unlike licensed code. The only thing it can do it progress forward. If that derived code takes a open or closed path is up to the person that is doing the modifications. If a restriction on it's use is placed you have no guarantee that a person that would otherwise use the code won't simply look for an alternative solution anyways which still does not contribute to the original project. The person doing that patch should have the right to determine what his work is worth and how it is used just as much as the unmodified code.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    It hasn't effected the PD code in any such way that it can harm it. The original code stays PD. If someone goes and makes their mods and decides not to reveal those mods that is their right. Once in the PD code cannot take a step backwards, unlike licensed code. The only thing it can do it progress forward. If that derived code takes a open or closed path is up to the person that is doing the modifications. If a restriction on it's use is placed you have no guarantee that a person that would otherwise use the code won't simply look for an alternative solution anyways which still does not contribute to the original project. The person doing that patch should have the right to determine what his work is worth and how it is used just as much as the unmodified code.
    We just disagree what is someone's right and what's not and since we are both mature it won't change even if we discuss it till the end of the days.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    As long as the conditions I set up respect the freedom and human rights, while the other's don't then I am correct. Whatever you do and how well you justify it is wrong if the result doesn't respect you as human being.
    What are those human rights you talk about? And who is not 'respecting you as a human being'?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    What are those human rights you talk about? And who is not 'respecting you as a human being'?
    You insulted me in a previous thread and now you want to begin again a conversation? Thanks but no.
    If you want to know what I mean, just read carefully my posts in this current thread.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    You insulted me in a previous thread and now you want to begin again a conversation? Thanks but no.
    If you want to know what I mean, just read carefully my posts in this current thread.
    wha-what?

    .

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default @michael

    @michael PTS and the benchmarks needs to recompile on macos10.6 for macos himself and need a chance CGLSetFullScreen ---> CGLSetFullScreenOnDisplay

    if not... OpenGL benchmarks are pointless--

    Pointless because macos do not shutdown the 3D-Desktop wile the ogl Benchmark run witout the modificantions.

    runs like runs in windows modus...
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 08-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    It hasn't effected the PD code in any such way that it can harm it. The original code stays PD. If someone goes and makes their mods and decides not to reveal those mods that is their right. Once in the PD code cannot take a step backwards, unlike licensed code. The only thing it can do it progress forward.
    At first glance, your argument has merit, but I think there are several benefits to copyleft licenses such as the GPL which PD does not offer.

    A major issue with PD is Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. If you develop a useful piece of software, what is to stop a large corporation from taking your code, creating an extended clone of your software, and using their greater marketing power to render your code effectively obsolete?
    This is similar to what Microsoft tried to do with their implementation of Java (they developed their own code so this isn't directly analogous with PD licensing, but there are similarities so please bear with me ).
    Sun sued Microsoft for $35 million in 1997, saying Microsoft breached its contract by trying to extend Java so it would work differently, and presumably better, on Windows computers.
    ...
    Sun executives said they were able to use Microsoft as a distribution tool to get Java into the hands of users when the software was in its infancy. Then Sun's lawsuit froze Microsoft's plans to modify Java for its own benefit, and Java became established in the meantime.
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-251401.html

    Recall that Java was explicitly designed to be "Architecture Neutral and Portable". Had Java been released under a more naive licence, then there would have been nothing stopping MS from using their enormous market power to crush Java's cross-platform interoperability - effectively taking over control of the technology by ensuring their 'version' was most widely used. Surely if Java apps were only usable on Windows, this is a "step backwards". (it's also no coincidence that C# and .NET appeared at about this time)

    Thus I think that while PD is obviously the least restrictive license, that is not enought in the "real world": GPL and similar licenses do more to protect the freedom of users and developers.

    Also note that Microsoft's proprietary JVM implementation ceased development in 2001 (after they lost the lawsuit and thus the right to use "Java Compatible" trademarks). Hence, due to their licensing, any improvements/modifications they made to Java are now lost forever and so any "steps forward" that were made are also lost.

    Of course, it is your choice to license your code however you wish. So as long as you don't mind having someone embrace, extend and then place restrictions your code for their own benefit there's no problem. However I'd argue that society as a whole loses in this case.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    A major issue with PD is Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. If you develop a useful piece of software, what is to stop a large corporation from taking your code, creating an extended clone of your software, and using their greater marketing power to render your code effectively obsolete
    If it's extended in an original way to become better than the original product, should be plenty justifiable... If it's just the same code wrapped up under a different name, I agree.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Pointless because macos do not shutdown the 3D-Desktop wile the ogl Benchmark run witout the modificantions.
    So you imply OSX would fare even better compared to Linux than nowadays if you disabled the compositing while doing the benchmarks? :3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •