Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 149

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    And i do not mention the stealing method used to close opensource software with BSD license.
    The intent of a BSD license is that you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't sue the original developers or use their names in advertising. Building closed software on top of the BSD code is one of the expected uses. The X/DRI/Mesa stack mostly uses the BSD-like X11 license for the same reasons.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    No more stupid then the restrictions in place by the GPL. You have to follow their terms and conditions as well.
    Oh plz really don't enter into this!!!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The intent of a BSD license is that you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't sue the original developers or use their names in advertising. Building closed software on top of the BSD code is one of the expected uses. The X/DRI/Mesa stack mostly uses the BSD-like X11 license for the same reasons.
    I know about this.

    The problem is to make a complete business model on this, where a community make and share their works, and there is some Company that arrives to close their work without any contribution. Also for this reason exist the GPL license, you know.

    But it's note the topic here, please do not take my words to create another Bsd vs GPL flamewar.

    I only say primary about the fact that Apple do not need here any advertising for free. Their Os can legally works ONLY on branded hardware, so there is a BIG restriction, *also* to make benchmarks.

    In example: Michael, do you have an Apple branded hardware to make your benchmark on OsX?

    Is a paradox, IMHO, to make free advertising to Apple product when their make this kind of basic restriction. Especially on a FOSS-Linux related site like this one.
    Last edited by qwerty; 08-29-2009 at 11:20 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Anyway: IMHO, in the end, i stated here in this thread to Micheal because I think that Apple DO NOT need any free advertising here on Phoronix.
    Hmm I can see your point here. But if the article includes both Linux and Maco$X benchmarks and some tests prove to run faster in Apple's system then it will be again an advertisement for them. So we can not avoid some advertisemnets unfortunately if we want to have real world benchmarks.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i think macos himself use openCL features and OpenGL 3.0+ features and the drivers do not support this fully.
    *sigh* you really don't have any idea what openCL does do you nor do you have any clue on OS X? Again Qaridarium, you offers reasons that are not even close to being the truth based on nothing but what ever your mind fantasizes about . You might as well say that the moon phase is what is slowing down openGL performance. If you had said GCD maybe the problem then you might have at least a educated guess as to what is happening. Unfortunately that would be wrong as well though as the OGL benches that were run are hardly (if any) multithreaded.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    But if the article includes both Linux and Maco$X benchmarks and some tests prove to run faster in Apple's system then it will be again an advertisement for them.
    IMHO the problem is on HOW the article is written, in this case.

    On the Michael work i see this kind of statement:

    if you are a Mac OS X user and are at all concerned about the performance of your system -- whether that means being a benchmarking junkie like us or just looking to squeeze the most potential out of your system whether it be for audio encoding, ray-tracing, image editing, or other computational tasks -- Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is a must buy.
    "A MUST BUY"...
    " If you are interested in purchasing Mac OS X 10.6, it is available through Amazon.com for just $25 USD."

    Please, make benchmarks, it's ok, we like it, but try to not make any mistake like this; because, IE, you forgot to mention that it's NOT legal to use Osx on non Apple branded PC.

    Apple Hardware DO NOT cost like a normal Pc hardware...

    You forgot to mention the most IMMENSE restriction about this software product: you have to buy Apple Hardware to work with.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    *sigh* you really don't have any idea what openCL does do you nor do you have any clue on OS X? Again Qaridarium, you offers reasons that are not even close to being the truth based on nothing but what ever your mind fantasizes about . You might as well say that the moon phase is what is slowing down openGL performance. If you had said GCD maybe the problem then you might have at least a educated guess as to what is happening. Unfortunately that would be wrong as well though as the OGL benches that were run are hardly (if any) multithreaded.
    i think macos 10.6 is optimizes to an FBO based rendering like "Xreal" not old-style rendering like "nexuiz".

    multi-threaded never the problem because modern engines like Xreal are only VGA limitet.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Anyway: IMHO, in the end, i stated here in this thread to Micheal because I think that Apple DO NOT need any free advertising here on Phoronix. They are already so good on hype and marketing, really the best in the world on this, FAR BETTER then their software and hardware manufacturer ability.
    Probably many people have similar feeling like yours (me included). However the most annoying things in my opinion are benchmarks which means usually nothing when comes to system to system comparison (maybe except graphic performance). Btw. GPL restrictions serve community and Apples restrictions serve Apple.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    IMHO the problem is on HOW the article is written, in this case.

    On the Michael work i see this kind of statement:



    "A MUST BUY"...
    " If you are interested in purchasing Mac OS X 10.6, it is available through Amazon.com for just $25 USD."

    Please, make benchmarks, it's ok, we like it, but try to not make any mistake like this; because, IE, you forgot to mention that it's NOT legal to use Osx on non Apple branded PC.

    Apple Hardware DO NOT cost like a normal Pc hardware...

    You forgot to mention the most IMMENSE restriction about this software product: you have to buy Apple Hardware to work with.
    So you mean that Michael's words should be something like:
    So if you don't care about spenading an enormous amount of money on restricted hardware and software and if you find proprietary software so attractive so to can't live without it (in other words if you are a Mac OS X user) and are at all concerned about the performance of your system blah blah blah...
    Well it doesn't change anything man. There are reasons to exist both users who use free software and users who use window$ and Maco$X. To repeat them all the time is tiresome.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    IMHO the problem is on HOW the article is written, in this case.

    On the Michael work i see this kind of statement:

    "A MUST BUY"...
    " If you are interested in purchasing Mac OS X 10.6, it is available through Amazon.com for just $25 USD."
    A must buy--> you lose 30% of OpenGL speed on modern OpenGL apps like nexuiz.. a realy realy must buy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •