Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: A New Development Release Of GNOME Shell

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Heh, even a lot of academics are ran with the idea of gaining funding. The end result of a lot academic research is to simply find more ways of generating revenue.
    There are concerns in academia though that profit-centeredness is killing out the general research whose purpose isn't to output a product but simply improve our understanding on things and further science. Accepting money from companies doesn't come without a price.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spykes View Post
    I'm using it every days on a machine that never reboots... After some days (or maybe weeks), it happens to crash leaving my windows frozen without decoration.
    Even if I just need to restart Compiz to recover my desktop (which is quite easy through the fusion-icon menu), it's always a painful situation.
    It may be due to a memory leak in a particular plugin, I don't know...
    Anyway it's still not as rock-solid as I would expect it to be.
    You use the latest version?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    There are concerns in academia though that profit-centeredness is killing out the general research whose purpose isn't to output a product but simply improve our understanding on things and further science. Accepting money from companies doesn't come without a price.
    Ya, I see that. Sad part is that academic research grants are pressured to produce results. Same thing happens in software development in many cases open or not. There are also some really stupid grants out there that I'm sure are just given out for the sake of it. I recall a few years the Provincial Gov't of BC giving a large 2 million dollar grant to a fishery study so they could put a TV underwater to teach salmon fry to avoid bears by showing a looping video of bears scooping out salmon during spawning.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I recall a few years the Provincial Gov't of BC giving a large 2 million dollar grant to a fishery study so they could put a TV underwater to teach salmon fry to avoid bears by showing a looping video of bears scooping out salmon during spawning.

    At least this is innovative...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    lol wut. That sounds like something the soviets would come up with.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    lol wut. That sounds like something the soviets would come up with.
    The salmon farming is actually much larger in Canada rather than Russia.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post

    At least this is innovative...
    lol, ya I bet $500 went to the tv and the rest went to the "beer fund".

    EDIT: Come to think of it, being in BC the balance probably went to their "wacky weed" fund.
    Last edited by deanjo; 08-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    lol, ya I bet $500 went to the tv and the rest went to the "beer fund".

    EDIT: Come to think of it, being in BC the balance probably went to their "wacky weed" fund.
    beer fund or weed fund, i wish i lived in BC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •