Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 9.8 - "compiz default maximize" = effect significant lag

Question Catalyst 9.8 - "compiz default maximize" = effect significant lag

Does anyone else experience a HUGE lag/stutter when you maximize a window with compiz enabled? Other effects such as "wobbly windows" is rendered without problems. But the 'maxmize/unmaximize" effect is terribly laggy.

Config:
    Ubuntu 9.04
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]
    Linux fermmy 2.6.28-15-server #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:30:06 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    Latest Catalyst 9.8 fglrx driver:
    fglrx-amdcccle_8.640-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    fglrx-kernel-source_8.640-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    fglrx-modaliases_8.640-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    libamdxvba1_8.640-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    xorg-driver-fglrx_8.640-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Yes, everyone has that. It's an old problem. And there's no work-around other that patching xorg with 107_fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch (which will result in some temporary screen garbage while opening and maximizing windows/menus/lists/etc.

Oh I see. Good to know.

So what is the problem then? A bug in X (which we need to wait to be fixed and come downstream to Ubuntu), or a bug in fglrx (which we need to wait for ATI to fix).

By RealNC's answer it sounds like the real answer is "developers don't yet know where the real problem is". You can't fix what you cannot understand.

Interesting. Well, I can confirm that the problem does not exist with the open source radeon driver ... so that might narrow it down to a problem with fglrx, (maybe). heh

fglrx doesn't seem to accelerate something in X that assumes the driver offers EXA support (fglrx uses the old XAA acceleration). If you take the open drivers and switch to XAA, you will have the same problem.

So is there a bug report submitted to XServer, or should we expect a workaround from fglrx?

I've no idea what the situation is. There was a lot of "ping-pong" the last time I looked it up (X saying it's the driver's problem, Ubuntu saying it's an X problem, ATI saying they have no idea and don't really care go patch your X since they don't really support upstream X...)

It isn't pretty

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I've no idea what the situation is. There was a lot of "ping-pong" the last time I looked it up (X saying it's the driver's problem, Ubuntu saying it's an X problem, ATI saying they have no idea and don't really care go patch your X since they don't really support upstream X...)

It isn't pretty
    they care about in catalyst 9.10 ... but yes ubuntu 9.10 is still broken.

i mean broken in meaning of broken...

the problem is known. But ati devs say it's X fault, X devs say it is ati's fault.

Interessting tidbit: nvidia has/had the same problem, also by that change that is reversed with the patch. And this change was introduced to make intel less horrible. Most X devs have something to do with Intel.

You can think about that for a moment.