Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80

Thread: Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    That is until the fix is out.
    ah nice lets benchmark again! :-) if the fix is out.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    An MS have even greater
    Sorry but I fail to understand your point.
    im attacking zealotism. dont mind me

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    This is definitely true. The point of writing open source software isn't to make money. If it was, there wouldn't be any.

    Are you sure about that? I think your _VERY_ wrong here.

    If money is not the point to writing open source software then why does IBM spend millions on Linux development? Why does Redhat regularly acquire closed source companies and immediately open source their products. You think the point behind JBOSS is not to make money? Do you think that Novell puts lots of development into Mono and the Gnome desktop because they don't give a shit that they are spending their investors money?

    You don't write open source software to make money by selling restrictive licenses. You write open source software because it's what you can do with the software that makes you wealthy.


    you sound like a socialist and probably are, and thats ok. But let me please remind you that the cash flow apple has is much greater than linux as a whole. Maybe not being open source freaks is doing them some good. You cant argue with results, sorry.
    That's a bullshit statement if I ever saw one.

    The people and corporations put money into Linux because of the money they can make with Linux, not through what they can force other people to pay through exploiting government laws.

    See:
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/p...lossimpact.pdf

    It's a study from a couple years ago that goes into the economic impact that 'FLOSS' (Free Libre Open Source Software).

    -----------------------------


    What is more socialist?

    Using government-enforced laws to force people to pay you licensing fees and restricting what they can do to compete with you through patents? If you don't pay Microsoft or Apple's fees for using their software then they can sue you.

    Or

    Providing a service were people pay you money because you help them make money by what they can do with the software support services and hardware they purchase from you? When people pay Redhat support services it's not because they are forced to, for the most part, it's because the services that Redhat offers will make them more money (or at least save them more money) then if they otherwise didn't pay for the service.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    What is more socialist?

    Using government-enforced laws to force people to pay you licensing fees and restricting what they can do to compete with you through patents? If you don't pay Microsoft or Apple's fees for using their software then they can sue you.

    Or

    Providing a service were people pay you money because you help them make money by what they can do with the software support services and hardware they purchase from you? When people pay Redhat support services it's not because they are forced to, for the most part, it's because the services that Redhat offers will make them more money (or at least save them more money) then if they otherwise didn't pay for the service.
    Unfortunately you are leading an answer with applied bias.

    I wasnt attacking him for supporting free software, I support free software. I was attacking him for attacking paid software. People patent ideas, products and god knows what because they have value. Your licensing bullshit is just that. If you dont want to get charged then your going to buy software that is made to be sold. You wouldn't steal food. You wouldnt steal a car, your implying that one wouldn't licence software and in a sense steal is absurd and makes linux users seem like cheap asses.

    Im afraid I dont quite understand what you mean by forced licensing. Are you saying the government forces L33F3R to buy windows or mac? I think your more against the government then you are against paid software.

    BTW your linked PDF is 287 pages long, I dont plan to read it. please cite your pages next time.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    17

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    im attacking zealotism. dont mind me
    I'm not a zealot/socialist, sorry. And my clain it's not at all related with socialism or freaking FOSS integralism.

    I like a *lot* this site and Michael's work until here. I think it's unique on the FOSS related site, and his battle against software houses (for Linux Gaming, IE) are really incredible, i'm a fan of his crusade.

    But: i simply think the it's not coherent to promote a closed e lock-in system like Osx and Apple blob here. IMHO it's not compatibile with the mission and other great articles here.

    That's all, this is only my opinion, but sometimes i think it's right also to hear some criticism.

    I was attacking him for attacking paid software
    I'm not at all against paid software, that's not the problem here.
    You can make cash selling software, advertising or whatever, but that must to be always clear.
    Last edited by qwerty; 09-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    But: i simply think the it's not coherent to promote a closed e lock-in system like Osx and Apple blob here. IMHO it's not compatibile with the mission and other great articles here.
    thats a better call I would be willing to say that the promotion of FOSS is important outside this site and the lessons could be carried to other aspects of society.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    im attacking zealotism. dont mind me
    Is zealot someone who considers closed systems as a bad idea and promotes open software?

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    Are you saying the government forces L33F3R to buy windows or mac?
    Do you find this surprising? If a government chooses to teach to the schools Windows with Windows-only programs then what do they force the pupils to use and buy? Linux or OpenSolaris?
    If the governmental services demand every digital document to be send in xls format only, what do they force you to use? MS office or pray your OpenOffice to read it correctly.
    If the national banks support e-banking only via windows systems what do they force you to buy? Ofcourse not Linux again.
    You know the indirect ways are usually much more drastic rather than the raw force.
    Last edited by Apopas; 09-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    absolutely not. But when taken to the next level possibly. Circumstances?

    I think at my own fault this thread is taken off topic

    regardless of open/closed source software, I think apple needs to reconsider what mac is.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Is zealot someone who considers closed systems as a bad idea and promotes open software?
    Actually that is pretty much the definition of zealotry

    zealot (plural zealots)

    1. one who is zealous, one who is full of zeal for his own specific beliefs or objectives, usually in the negative sense of being too passionate; a fanatic

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    absolutely not. But when taken to the next level possibly. Circumstances?
    If your government contracts agreements with MS to use Vista and 7 in the schools and forces it via a new maiden law despite the counteractions of the local FOSS supporters, then it's haardly a coincidence.

    I think at my own fault this thread is taken off topic
    Don't worry that's a common habbit of the residents here... I do it well too...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •