Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: radeon HD 2600 no workie

Quote Originally Posted by Bobboau View Post
    I'm actualy thinking the card might be bad. like I said, the problem I'm haveing is now showing up when I run the live CD with the vesa driver. and yeah I did undo the changes in my bios to see if that was the problem.
    Ahh, I assumed the live cd would be trying to use radeon.

I already tried the ati/radeon driver, unless you are talking about a different one than I'm thinking
    No that's the one, but try with the BusType PCIE which by not trying to use AGP can help with problems that AGP motherboards/cards have.

worst comes to worst the card is defective and I'll have to get a new one.
    do you have any suggestions in the $100 range that won't have the driver issues this one has had?
    Not sure really, Some AGP motherboards seem to have more problems than others, the card may not be faulty, but the crash with vesa doesn't sound good. Maybe you could try a different distro CD and see how it goes with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobboau View Post
    I'll try fiddling with the options you've suggested a little, though this is an AGP model not a PCIE. worst comes to worst the card is defective and I'll have to get a new one. do you have any suggestions in the $100 range that won't have the driver issues this one has had?
    The BusType option doesn't really refer to the physical bus interface but rather the gart mechanism used by the driver.

AGP: motherboard chipset handles GART
    PCI/PCIE: GPU handles GART

Alex

ok, now it's mostly working again, when using the ati driver, the pcie option did help out a lot.
    and messing with the bios reveals that I can set everything to there highest and it doesn't crash the system (might not be having any effect at all).

I still cannot get opengl compositing to work though.

my current conf and log
    http://pastebin.com/m57bec19c

it still locks up with the radeonhd driver though

unless anyone has any other ideas I'm probably going to leave it like it is for a few months until the hd driver is a little bit more mature.

oh, and video is now working well for the most part
    Last edited by Bobboau; 09-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.