Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XvBA / VA API

Hybrid View

Default XvBA / VA API

Can anyone at AMD tell us if this is ever going to be supported? (Bridgeman I'm looking at you).

HD video is becoming more prevalent, and my Core2 along with my ATI card struggle to play it without weird motion problems (like the playback is slow, then speeds up to catch up, then slows down again) so, for example, watching people walk around just looks wrong. Technically it is tear-free video, but it's unwatchable just the same.

Yes, I know there all HD is not equal - but afaik this stuff all works on nvidia with VDPAU.

I'm assuming that if we had working XvBA and a player that supports it, these problems would go away.

Or am I misinformed? Or perhaps this is unexpected and there is something wrong with my setup?

No, high resolution MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is pretty tough even for a modern CPU to decode.

With XvBA most, if not all, of the video decoding would be offloaded to the video card, and your setup would more than suficient for smooth playback.

At least I assume that would be so, the only thing I have to compare with is my AMD X2-based HTPC with a Geforce 9400. Using VDPAU on that baby reduced CPU usage from 80-90% to well below 10%.

FYI h.264 runs fine in a single core of my Core 2 Duo. CPU usage from 32% to 50%. (as in, it peaks to full core usage; still have whole another core to do whatever I want with)

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    FYI h.264 runs fine in a single core of my Core 2 Duo. CPU usage from 32% to 50%. (as in, it peaks to full core usage; still have whole another core to do whatever I want with)
    Not at 1920x1080 with a half-decent encoding quality it doesn't.... run fine, I mean. Especially in high-motion scenes. If it hits peak CPU usage, then it is DEFINITELY suffering (i.e. dropping frames or building them up in queue).
    Last edited by lbcoder; 09-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.

My Phenom does fine decoding most 1080p movies, except when there's water (like a river or sea) in it. Then it stutters like hell .

I'm also very curious when XvBA will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
    Not at 1920x1080 with a half-decent encoding quality it doesn't.... run fine, I mean. Especially in high-motion scenes. If it hits peak CPU usage, then it is DEFINITELY suffering (i.e. dropping frames or building them up in queue).
    FYI it was h.264 made of Blu-ray and is plenty high-quality enough for anyone. No messages of dropped frames.

Quote Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
    Not at 1920x1080 with a half-decent encoding quality it doesn't.... run fine, I mean. Especially in high-motion scenes.
    Could you please point me to such clips? In particular, the hardest clips for your CPU. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    Could you please point me to clips that stress the CPU really hard? Thanks.
    Here's one:
    http://showcase7.divx.com/ElephantsDream[DivX7].mkv

If you can find more demanding clips than this one, please post them in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdriver View Post
    Here's one:

If you can find more demanding clips than this one, please post them in this thread.
    From what I've heard, the most demanding material is probably the "Birds" clip from Planet Earth. It might be tricky to get ahold of it though.

If you check the mythtv wiki, it should have a link to HD-PVR samples- which are reasonably challenging for a CPU to decode.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdriver View Post
    Here's one:

Thanks, I already had this one and my Phenom 8450 could play it under 80% or CPU usage. Here is a more demanding one:
    http://www.poure.com/footage/canon/e...I/MVI_5500.MOV

MPlayer/Xv reports ~120% CPU time for video decoding. "Real" measurements show 88% total.