Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Mesa 7.5.1 Brings Bug Fixes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,628

    Default Mesa 7.5.1 Brings Bug Fixes

    Phoronix: Mesa 7.5.1 Brings Bug Fixes

    As a follow up to the Mesa 7.5 release that occurred back in mid-July, Brian Paul has now announced the release of Mesa 7.5.1. This point release brings a number of bug fixes and minor improvements, while a plethora of new work over the past few months has been going into what shall become Mesa 7.6.Among the fixes making up Mesa 7.5.1 is eliminating the swap-buffers jerkiness with the Intel driver in Doom 3 and other games, minor GLX memory leaks, a few Gallium3D bug-fixes, and miscellaneous OpenGL bug fixes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUwNw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Mesa is a nice project. Too bad X sucks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    206

    Default

    It's other way around buddy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Hmm, care to enlighten me on that?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    206

    Default

    No problem, try using mesa for what it is meant, you will quickly find out that it doesn't even support hardware OpenGL 2.0 or Shaders. And what is its purpose? Draw, perform, or render something useful, instead of a triangle. What's wrong with X? Nothing really.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    No problem, try using mesa for what it is meant, you will quickly find out that it doesn't even support hardware OpenGL 2.0 or Shaders. And what is its purpose? Draw, perform, or render something useful, instead of a triangle. What's wrong with X? Nothing really.
    Whining is easy. Why don't you try writing a driver for a modern GPU to see what it takes?

    The developers are working on OpenGL support, but stuff like this isn't implemented out of thin air.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Whining is easy. Why don't you try writing a driver for a modern GPU to see what it takes?

    The developers are working on OpenGL support, but stuff like this isn't implemented out of thin air.
    Isn't it as easy as adding this to the driver code:

    Code:
    sudo support={openGL 3.2}
    I'm not a real h4x0r or even a codemonkey, so I wouldn't know for sure..

    /end joke

    Anyway, I'm very happy to see my X1600 now supporting openGL 1.5 in Ubuntu Karmic, since AMD gave up supporting my card (though I will probably get a new system before real solid 3d acc. arives for this chip). But this is through 7.6, right? Where will the 7.5.1 end up - will distros using 7.5 upgrade?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Whining is easy. Why don't you try writing a driver for a modern GPU to see what it takes?

    The developers are working on OpenGL support, but stuff like this isn't implemented out of thin air.
    He just corrected the previous poster that it is Mesa that actually sucks not X. He didn't come in here complaining so I guess your statement should have been aimed towards the first poster.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    No problem, try using mesa for what it is meant, you will quickly find out that it doesn't even support hardware OpenGL 2.0 or Shaders. And what is its purpose? Draw, perform, or render something useful, instead of a triangle. What's wrong with X? Nothing really.
    Mesa supports hardware OpenGL 2.1 and shaders.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    He just corrected the previous poster that it is Mesa that actually sucks not X. He didn't come in here complaining so I guess your statement should have been aimed towards the first poster.
    The first poster didn't claim that Mesa sucks.

    And no, Mesa does not suck. Gallium3D does not suck. Shaders are already supported. GLSL support is underway.

    Besides, this is an open source project. Whine that x sucks without lifting a finger to help and people will simply laugh at you. Even more so if the whining is without merit.

    You don't need to be a developer to file a bug report, either. And if you don't have any bugs to report, then the project doesn't suck by definition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •