Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.blueman View Post
    [snip]

Hi John - for the benefit of everyone reading this thread:

Is the authoritative/preferred place to file FGLRX bug reports at https://bugs.freedesktop.org with product 'xorg' and component 'Driver/fglrx', or at http://ati.cchtml.com ?

Clearly, if we have a concerted effort to file constructive and technically accurate bug reports, particularly against the current release, everyone wins. Would this help?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    There are a few formal places for support.

1) If you purchased your system with Linux from your OEM (HP,Dell, Lenovo, etc), you go through them.
    2) If you acquired the driver through a distribution, start with their bugtracking system (they know the patches and changes they have made, AMD doesn't).
    3) If you acquired the driver through amd.com, then http://www.amd.com/us/LinuxCrewSurvey is the formal location for feedback.

AMD does have "ears" in most of the above locations and is generally aware of what is going on. Unfortunately, 1:1 interaction on a formal bug report is not the way AMD operates.

Now for unofficial reports you obviously have forums and so on. Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.

Bear in mind that in a very complex piece of software, there will always be many bugs. The prioritization and resolution of those bugs is always a fight against new hardware, new features and formal customer engagement. What seems like a critical to bug to one, may be
    a low priority issue to another.

Regards,

Matthew

I am impressed with this release. Unlike in 9.8, I can finally start X without freezing. And when it does freeze in rare occassions, it wouldn't bring the kernel down with it. I can finally play HD video on this computer. Great job.

Btw, the ebuild compile fine but doesn't install. In the end, I have to copy the files manually. I am using Gentoo on Pentium-4 x86 with 1GB RAM, Radeon HD4650 AGP.

Exclamation

Hi Yall & Kano,

thanks Kano, the script got the new driver installed here! :-)

I needed to add a couple of dashes in front of "install", like so...

--install

and the rest was pure geek beauty. (4870 sold to a Rich friend, who is waiting until I upgrage).

Thanks also to mtippett and bridgman, for the patient dialouge from ATI/AMD.

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I couldn't find a bugzilla ticket for the "washed out colours". I didn't go through every single ticket with "Xv" but I did go through all the ones with likely sounding descriptions (and more). Can someone file a ticket with an example, preferably with a link to the (legal) video file ?

I know we went through a *lot* of discussion regarding the open source drivers and what was actually "correct" - the specs are kind of vague about when each conversion matrix should be used so the devs tried a series of different heuristics until everyone seemed happy with the results.

There doesn't seem to be a clear "right and wrong" here, just a variety of opinions. IIRC part of the problem is that video files are not tagged to identify which conversion matrix was used for encoding, so the driver has to guess based on things like video resolution (eg SD is usually encoded one way, HD is usually encoded another way).
    @bridgman: I've logged a clear bug report about this, including steps to reproduce it without video (with gstreamer-properties), showing it has no connection with video tagging etc. I strongly suspect the coefficients used in the post-processing pixel-shader, see:

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1652

@everyone-else: login to ati.cchtml.com and hit 'Vote for this bug' if you want this fixed.

Thanks!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by mtippett View Post
    There are a few formal places for support.

<snip>

Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.
    @mtippett/Matthew:

Thanks for the info. I've added upstream and downstream links between vendor and distro bug reports of two seeming quite visible issues <1> and fed in additional information. There is still no acknowledgement/sign from AMD on these alas.

There will still be a position for the FGLRX driver after opensource DRM/Mesa support arrives in eg > 7 months for Ubuntu users, so it's a pity it'll still give users a worse experience before and after then.

--- <1>

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1546
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1652

fglrx 9.10 (from ubuntu) is the way to go if you want suspend-to-ram (I haven't tried suspend-to-disk) working

Gentoo ~amd64, 2.6.31-zen1, ASUS EAH Radeon 4850, fglrx 9.10 (ubuntu release), fluxbox / xfce4

both desktop environments work both well with s2ram and disabled framebuffer

it switches to the VT and then from there suspends, after wakeup it's back at X

the command to make it suspend to ram is:

Code:
    s2ram -a 1 -m -f

this has NEVER successfully worked for me in the last 5 years with fglrx:

*) it either hardlocked when switching to VT

*) hardlocked the computer totally when waking up or during suspend

*) the screen stayed black

so finally I can ditch windows Vista most of the time and ban Windows XP into a VirtualMachine where it's only run if there are programs which my university forces me to use (and there's no linux-port for)

excellent work guys

3 wishes for improvement and fglrx:

*) faster support for newer kernels

*) support for preemptible rcu and/or full kernel preemption

*) support for other / additional slab allocators (such as slqb)

Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 09-22-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Hello,

since 9.9 the fglrx suffers from strange OpenGL perfomance regressions and other flaws.

As soon I am using compiz, the card shows a high load and almost never clocks down anymore.
    Quake wars performance dropped by alsmost 20%

Using best texture quality setting in compiz actually renders the Desktop with a lower resolution and upsamples it when switching through virtual workspaces.

Still there is no possibility to use PC-level with XV, no Vsync.

Card used: HD 4850

@KernelOfTruth
    I found that with Ubuntu 9.04 x86-64 disabling compiz/beryl(desktop effects in GNOME -- not sure if xfce wm supports that as I haven't run an xfce is some time(was testing it as a more featured replacement for fluxbox on an old nb)) solved the freezing on wake from sleep/hibernate for me...

It'd be really nice if 9.10 final actually fixes that, along with video playback also occassionally freezing the machine after wake from sleep. (It doesn't happen all of the time now, so they must've at least made a partial fix for it so far...)

(4850 mobility 512MB GDDR3, P8600)
    MSI GT725-074US:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB 7200RPM WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3, 8x Super multi DVD+/-RW, 1680x1050 (17"), 9 cell battery

Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 (current updates) catalyst 9.3
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 (current update) still on shipped catalyst(8.12 I think, MSI packed -- lazy)

Default Cat 9.10 with HD5870 - any luck?

Has anyone tried this 9.10 beta with a HD5870?

Quote Originally Posted by mtippett View Post
    Now for unofficial reports you obviously have forums and so on. Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.
    I recall bridgman reminding that it's very important not to just report bugs on the tracker and forget them there but actively attempt to participate in the solving process. (since AMD/ATi might be unable to reproduce the problem) Also telling them which bugs actually got fixed there probably helps them to keep working on the ones that are still a problem.