Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Hybrid View

Default Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

David Airlie has pushed a horde of new code into his drm-next Git tree, which is what will get pulled into the Linux 2.6.32 kernel once the merge window is open. Most prominently, this new DRM code brings support for kernel mode-setting with R600 class hardware as well as 3D support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUxNg

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

David Airlie has pushed a horde of new code into his drm-next Git tree, which is what will get pulled into the Linux 2.6.32 kernel once the merge window is open. Most prominently, this new DRM code brings support for kernel mode-setting with R600 class hardware as well as 3D support...

Why is the article only naming the R600 hardware? Everything I've read so far suggests that the support is for both R600 and R700 hardware, even the source blog post implicates this

Quote Originally Posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    Why is the article only naming the R600 hardware? Everything I've read so far suggests that the support is for both R600 and R700 hardware, even the source blog post implicates this
    It is pretty much redundant to mention R700 specifically since everything that applies to R600 also applies to R700. So the reason is that it saves 5 characters {space}"R700", at every point of mention.

Fedora rawhide users, just wait for a day and it should all be available.
    *** nice
    So tomorrow all I gotta do is an easy "yum update" and 3D should start working...

Quote Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
    *** nice
    So tomorrow all I gotta do is an easy "yum update" and 3D should start working...
    Only if you are on f12

Quote Originally Posted by glisse View Post
    Only if you are on f12
    ...That would be the reason I said all *I* gotta do

Default rv730 happiness in F12?

Quote Originally Posted by glisse View Post
    Only if you are on f12
    So does this mean that F12 will support DRI2 and OpenGL for rv730 chips without having to resort to fglrx? I have a curious laptop/docking station combo that contains both a V5250 IGP and an HD4650 PCIe card, which is currently stuck using F10. However, since F10 will probably stop being supported once F12 is released, I strongly suspect that I will finally have to upgrade the laptop to F12. And that will mean "Bye bye, fglrx; hello, Mesa!" again for the purposes of playing WoW.

Should I expect storms on the horizon...?

Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lbcoder View Post
    It is pretty much redundant to mention R700 specifically since everything that applies to R600 also applies to R700. So the reason is that it saves 5 characters {space}"R700", at every point of mention.
    Not if (almost?) every article up until now has spoken of R600/R700 (note the forward slash and the R700). Omitting it now is a breeding ground for confusion because it isn't consistent.

And what about R800? When do they come on-line?

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post

pretty f******g sweet