Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Catalyst 9.9 For Linux Released, Still XvBA Lacking

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Interesting but is the performance good? I mean is it poibletoee a High Definition movie with an older chipset or with an older PC? I didn't change a graphics card for a long time and I don't have personal experience how Radeons work under Linux.
    that would depend on what exactly your definition of "older" is.

    i can watch 1080p mp4 on an hd3200 with 15-20% cpu load on a phenom 9950 2.6ghz

    niether of those are that old, but the 3200 is an integrated card... and the load is low enough on the phenom to where alot of older processors would handle it just as well.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    that would depend on what exactly your definition of "older" is.

    i can watch 1080p mp4 on an hd3200 with 15-20% cpu load on a phenom 9950 2.6ghz

    niether of those are that old, but the 3200 is an integrated card... and the load is low enough on the phenom to where alot of older processors would handle it just as well.
    This load is certainly not low! 20% means that you are pegging one CPU at 80% - a 100% spike will result in dropped frames and/or audio desync!

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    This load is certainly not low! 20% means that you are pegging one CPU at 80% - a 100% spike will result in dropped frames and/or audio desync!
    i didn't say "low" i said "low enough for alot of older processors to handle it"

    big difference....

    besides, i've never seen it actually hit 25%... most any dual core should be capable of running 1080p, assuming multithreaded decoding. single cores below the ~2.8ghz for athalon 64 may or may not. i realize this discludes alot of hardware, which is also why i said define "older". this does however, include alot of hardware as well.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    i didn't say "low" i said "low enough for alot of older processors to handle it"

    big difference....

    besides, i've never seen it actually hit 25%... most any dual core should be capable of running 1080p, assuming multithreaded decoding. single cores below the ~2.8ghz for athalon 64 may or may not. i realize this discludes alot of hardware, which is also why i said define "older". this does however, include alot of hardware as well.
    I tried "Big Buck Bunny 1080p AC3" in my system. Athlon64 3000+ , 1.5 GB RAM and GF 8500 GT.
    With compiz enabled the video sucks at 90% CPU,
    without compiz was 20%-50%.
    The software was Mplayer-1.0RC2 with XV and alsa.

    If I use vdpau, then I can watch with compiz enabled at 70% maximum CPU and without at 20%-40%.
    Last edited by Apopas; 09-12-2009 at 05:18 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    I really don't think it makes much sense to make the non-existence of XvBA the highlight of every damn driver release.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I really don't think it makes much sense to make the non-existence of XvBA the highlight of every damn driver release.
    If it's the only highlight, then it's the only thing to talk about.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    If it's the only highlight, then it's the only thing to talk about.
    Yeah but why does Michael always raise it up? Is it his intention that people start complaining about its non-existence on every release? I'm sure people would gradually stop caring if he stopped mentioning it all the time.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Yeah but why does Michael always raise it up? Is it his intention that people start complaining about its non-existence on every release? I'm sure people would gradually stop caring if he stopped mentioning it all the time.
    Why are you sure? People want something like VDPAU for their AMD cards too.

    And besides, what's in it for you? I mean, why do you care if others care?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Why are you sure? People want something like VDPAU for their AMD cards too.

    And besides, what's in it for you? I mean, why do you care if others care?
    It looks pretty definitely sure that we're going to get VDPAU for AMD cards too over Gallium3D eventually so I personally stopped caring of XvBA long time ago.
    I dunno. Probably a personality disorder or something to be annoyed at people bickering over a thing that isn't going to come any sooner no matter how impatient they are.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    VDPAU > XvBA, we've got benchmarks on this very site to demonstrate as much. If there's one video API AMD will implement in catalyst, it should be VDPAU.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •