Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Indie Game Studio Amazed At Linux Sales

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    115

    Default

    You also have to take into account that this is a game for all ages and does not guarantee that heavier games, be it FPS, RPG or other genres, have the same success on Linux.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    You also have to take into account that this is a game for all ages and does not guarantee that heavier games, be it FPS, RPG or other genres, have the same success on Linux.
    Why not? People of all ages use Linux and window$, as do FPS and RPGS fans!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Why not? People of all ages use Linux and window$, as do FPS and RPGS fans!
    I really like fps's.
    I have NWN with the 2 major modules, that's the last game I bought.

    I think sacred gold looks interesting, however I feel personally insulted that they want to charge full retail for a game as old as it is, especially with sacred 2 already shipping and the windows version being totally bargain bin.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    I think sacred gold looks interesting, however I feel personally insulted that they want to charge full retail for a game as old as it is, especially with sacred 2 already shipping and the windows version being totally bargain bin.
    Think of it as supporting / investing in LGP (and Linux gaming in general).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    I really like fps's.
    I have NWN with the 2 major modules, that's the last game I bought.

    I think sacred gold looks interesting, however I feel personally insulted that they want to charge full retail for a game as old as it is, especially with sacred 2 already shipping and the windows version being totally bargain bin.
    I understand what you mean bro, but that's how it works since the linux gaming market is small. The guys must get enough money from few to pay the company that gave them the game at first place and then themselves. Nothing can be done about that

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    I dont buy games anymore that won't run on linux and only use wine for work purposes. I wonder how many users like me are out there waiting for something.
    Not me. I play anything that works under wine, honestly DirectX9 is pretty much implemented on Linux by now. For example all of the Telltale games that I love, plenty classics like Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island etc. work without any problems now on 1.1.29. Another big favorite is King's Bounty, new HOMM-style game only much better. Publishers won't ever notice those not buying their games. They will notice posts of all the annoyances of making it work on Linux, and maybe finally ask "Hmm.. could we help these people to a better gaming experience?" They really are more receptive once you've put your money where your mouth is and realize it's not just people asking for a Linux version and a free pony. At least if you want the (near) same-time cross-platform release I want. Paying for grossly overpriced ten year old games? No way. Then I'd rather donate it to some open source development or whatever.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Don't repeat, but I think I even would pay higher price for a UT3 linux client...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    Now you will play a really low price. When you think of prey, it was released when the game was available for about 4 euro+shipping

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    A similar story happened with the Penumbra trilogy. 3 horror adventures from frictionalgames. Here is an interesting part of the main article they have in their website. http://frictionalgames.com/site/
    ...We also came in contact with Helios - the Linux blogger with a big heart for many things. He wanted to do a write-up on the Linux version and got all excited about making it fit with the weekend deal and, oh my, did he make it fit!

    Due to the blog, the Slashdot article about the blog, Linux and Mac sites posting of the PR we ended up with an excellent weekend of chaos. Because of this we are now as good as set to focus completely on making the next game, which is great compared to spending most of the day working on survival solutions....
    Also, in their forums they said:
    ...Since the windows version is sold at so many places and also as a boxed version(s), there is no exact figures really. But some sort of estimate would be that Windows is 90% of the units and linux 6% with the mac at 4%...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •