Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 173

Thread: Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mibo View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't mean just the server side.
    It seems pretty clear that he's referring to the client.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I am sure Quake Live would have a lot more users if the plugin wasn't such a piece of total crap!

    Tried it on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Fedora with AMD CPU's, Intel CPU's, Intel GPU, nVidia GPU and ATI GPU in different homes with different internet connections (varying from high-speed rigs and connections to low speed rigs and connections) and the Quake Live plugin is a total disasterpiece.

    Please make it actually work id? Thanks. I do not understand why this plugin isn't gpl'ed and the artwork released freely. No-one is going to buy the GPL'ed Quake 3 anymore now that there is Quake Live and since they release Quake Live with updated artwok for free there is no fscking reason not to release the artwok under a CC license as well... <_<'

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "With Mystic Mine, a majority of the gamers are running Mac OS X (42%) followed by Linux with 34% while Windows gamers only account for 23% of the sales."
    do note. I have never heard of this game before the sales figures article. How many of you have heard of it before hand?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Please make it actually work id? Thanks. I do not understand why this plugin isn't gpl'ed and the artwork released freely. No-one is going to buy the GPL'ed Quake 3 anymore now that there is Quake Live and since they release Quake Live with updated artwok for free there is no fscking reason not to release the artwok under a CC license as well... <_<'
    You can't sell a GPL'd product. Next issue.
    More to the detail: Selling a GPL'd product isn't useful since you have to give out the source code free so people will just play it without paying anything to you anyway.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    You can't sell a GPL'd product. Next issue.
    More to the detail: Selling a GPL'd product isn't useful since you have to give out the source code free so people will just play it without paying anything to you anyway.
    Ehm... Quake live is a browser version of Quake 3 and it's gratis and Quake 3 is GPL'ed, so I don't realy know what you're getting at?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I am sure Quake Live would have a lot more users if the plugin wasn't such a piece of total crap!

    Tried it on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Fedora with AMD CPU's, Intel CPU's, Intel GPU, nVidia GPU and ATI GPU in different homes with different internet connections (varying from high-speed rigs and connections to low speed rigs and connections) and the Quake Live plugin is a total disasterpiece.

    Please make it actually work id? Thanks. I do not understand why this plugin isn't gpl'ed and the artwork released freely. No-one is going to buy the GPL'ed Quake 3 anymore now that there is Quake Live and since they release Quake Live with updated artwok for free there is no fscking reason not to release the artwok under a CC license as well... <_<'
    Weird. It just worked for me on Arch 64-bit fglrx. And it works quite good.
    :-)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Good news everyone!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    You can't sell a GPL'd product. Next issue.
    More to the detail: Selling a GPL'd product isn't useful since you have to give out the source code free so people will just play it without paying anything to you anyway.
    Of course you can sell software licensed under the GPL.

    Also, source code or not, people will pirate your game and play it without paying you.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Ehm... Quake live is a browser version of Quake 3 and it's gratis and Quake 3 is GPL'ed, so I don't realy know what you're getting at?
    You are very confused. iD owns the copyright to the game and can do as they wish with it. Quake Live is not licensed under the GPL.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    The numbers can be higher due to a lack in game competition for Linux. That doesn't mean that those figures aren't significant though, because they are real, and even when there are more Linux games the percentage will probably continue to climb even in the face of inter-game competition since the number of Linux users will increase. That's because the main thing keeping Linux down is the growing but still smaller software selection, and the few issues with it here and there even though it's largely usually easier to use than those other alternative OSes. ^^
    i Personaly know more linux users than macos users.

    Germanys TOP IT webside HEISE.de statistic show linux has up to 30% market share.

    Linux+wine does more FPS on old-hartware in WOW than vista and Windows7 only because of the ram use linux 140mb vista 1.3GB windows7 1GB an old computer with 1GB ram can run WOW but only on Linux or XP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •