Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

I would instantly buy it if there was a Linux version.
    I'm not really interested in it enough right now to buy a Windows version.

If there isn't a Linux version, I'll probably only buy it once it's $20 or less on Steam.

I remember the days of wonderful story-driven games like Hovertank 3d, Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake, Doom2, Quake2 (crash! Defeat the Makron! Jump on the crates! Pick up a weapon!) with strong character development and a social commentary.

Now they've ruined it. Instead of a mixture of puzzles, musical interludes, and economic critique, we get a game where you run around and shoot monsters.

ID, you have betrayed us! This is NOT what we expected!

As long as it still uses OpenGL just use wine. There is no real performance penalty when you play those games, like Doom 3 via wine worked very soon after release at normal speed. D3D games will get much slower, but OpenGL can be mapped 1:1 and therefore it should not be more than 1-2% difference.

Well, right now though most people can't actually play this game. There are bugs in it that make it unplayable (game freezes completely every 3 seconds). Everyone's waiting for a patch.

How ironic, given that "Bethesda" now appears next to id's logo. Ha ha!

i've been thinking Rage does use steamworks for networking and few other stuff, does this mean that rage port to linux is pretty much a dead end?

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    i've been thinking Rage does use steamworks for networking and few other stuff, does this mean that rage port to linux is pretty much a dead end?
    Yes, Rage uses Steamworks - activation via Steam and multiplayer via Steam

slashdot had an article some time ago about Steam on Linux. I don't think Rage's use of Steam is necessarily an unsolvable problem. But, I'm not holding my breath for the Linux port. I'd really like to see a demo first.

They could just make the linux version SP only until Valve releases Steam for linux

Quote Originally Posted by Max Spain View Post
    They could just make the linux version SP only until Valve releases Steam for linux
    probably a deal breaker for me, I played quake 3 & 4 online practically all the time. I think I only realized that one or the other actually had some levels when I was testing my opengl setup. In fact, I haven't read much, or maybe anything, about Rage's online play. I know there's a level editor, so that bodes well for CTF and ridiculous deathmatches, but I haven't even seen a screenshot. Anyone playing online on a console or windows PC?

Quote Originally Posted by wantedtosay View Post
    slashdot had an article some time ago about Steam on Linux. I don't think Rage's use of Steam is necessarily an unsolvable problem. But, I'm not holding my breath for the Linux port. I'd really like to see a demo first.
    any link that you could provide?