Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

Default NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

After releasing a standalone VDPAU library, NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner shared an interesting tid-bit on the X.Org mailing list in response to questions raised by Red Hat's David Airlie. The Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix will have its own protocol, similar to that of XvMC and DRI...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Mw

I'm not at speed in the graphics department on linux, what benefits will give this?

I'm not at speed in the graphics department on linux, what benefits will give this?
    Well this will bring high quality, Accelerated Video playback...
    VDPAU can be described as the X Window System equivalent of Microsoft's DxVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) API for Windows.

I would like to see this as part of Gallium3D, that would be the best way so that all Cards that use a Gallium3D driver would automatic benefit and be able to have vpdau support!

how many video APIs do we actually have for Linux (Xorg to be more precise)?????

its this by NVIDIA, Xvsomething, Vaapi, i think AMD has its own that will (is??) ported to linux and probably some more

That's normal in OSS world. Get used to it... (I know it's hard somethimes)

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    how many video APIs do we actually have for Linux (Xorg to be more precise)?????

its this by NVIDIA, Xvsomething, Vaapi, i think AMD has its own that will (is??) ported to linux and probably some more

Competition and different approaches are good for Linux and OSS in general. It's true that there are quite a good number of implementations around now that does the same thing. IMHO Nvidia has proven that VDPAU is rather mature and has proven this with so many projects adopting it. It would be interesting to see if this could become the OpenGL for video playback. Imagine if this could be ported/implemented on other platforms aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by lithorus View Post
    Competition and different approaches are good for Linux and OSS in general. It's true that there are quite a good number of implementations around now that does the same thing. IMHO Nvidia has proven that VDPAU is rather mature and has proven this with so many projects adopting it. It would be interesting to see if this could become the OpenGL for video playback. Imagine if this could be ported/implemented on other platforms aswell.
    I hope you are right about VDPAU becoming the OGL for video playback. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be, since both ends of the standard are open and quite a few media players already support it.

Quote Originally Posted by lithorus View Post
    Competition and different approaches are good for Linux and OSS in general. It's true that there are quite a good number of implementations around now that does the same thing.
    i disagree

we dont need a billion APIs, libraries or apps that do the same thing bad

the user needs one that does what its supposed to do really well

this approach (multiple project aiming the same thing) is the Plague of
    Open Source

Sure there are a few, like Xv and others ... but there is nothing close to the acceleration and quality to nvidia's vpdau so that makes it for Linux very important..

AMD is developing XvBA, but it is uninteresting because it is only for their fglrx drivers and I think closed??.. >please correct me if im wrong<

It's complicated because the graphics hardware *can* do many of the parts of a rendering process.

Resize, color conversion, frame flips, OSD, compositing and decoding. Decoding also depends on which codec, and it can be either with fixed function hardware or on shaders. It can be full decoding or just GPU-assisted decoding. Many options lead to many APIs, or one very big API.

Anything other than plain X/DirectFB, and trust me you don't want that, is using the graphics hardware in some way. It's just not on a linear path from little to more, it's branching out in different directions. For example XvMC only matters if you play MPEG2 video, nothing else.