Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon OpenGL 2.0 support

Hybrid View

Default Radeon OpenGL 2.0 support

IIRC the latest Mesa already supports OpenGL 2.0. Is there any ETA as to when ATI radeon and radeonhd driver will support openGL 2.0? It's becoming a real PITA not being able to have shaders in 3D with this card (R500, so no fglrx, no GLSL).

AFAIK the kernel changes are now in (at least for R500-).

Just for clarification, the current driver *does* support shaders and most of the games running on them are using shaders. What they don't support is GLSL - only the ARB_vp/fp shader language. The changes to support GLSL and OpenGL 2.0 will mostly be made in the mesa drivers, not radeon/radeonhd.

Availability of kernel modesetting (actually the GEM/TTM memory manager that comes with kernel modesetting) was a pre-requisite for some of the GL 2.0 functions, and also a pre-requisite for the Gallium3D drivers which will be the most likely path to GL 2.0. Now that KMS/GEM/TTM are available in the kernel tree, work on Gallium3D is starting to ramp up.

It's probably a bit early to make schedule estimates... maybe check back in a month.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Just for clarification, the current driver *does* support shaders and most of the games running on them are using shaders. What they don't support is GLSL - only the ARB_vp/fp shader language. The changes to support GLSL and OpenGL 2.0 will mostly be made in the mesa drivers, not radeon/radeonhd.

Availability of kernel modesetting (actually the GEM/TTM memory manager that comes with kernel modesetting) was a pre-requisite for some of the GL 2.0 functions, and also a pre-requisite for the Gallium3D drivers which will be the most likely path to GL 2.0. Now that KMS/GEM/TTM are available in the kernel tree, work on Gallium3D is starting to ramp up.

It's probably a bit early to make schedule estimates... maybe check back in a month.
    I am currently trying to write a shader based engine to get the concepts of OpenGL3 and since you decided to cripple my R500 card with open-source drivers, I try to use ARB_vp/fp where GLSL is mentioned in the tutorials.
    But it seems like ARB_vp/ fp is not well documented - probably because its obsolete and old. Do you perhaps still know some documentation sources? (besides the extension text)

Quote Originally Posted by madman2k View Post
    ... since you decided to cripple my R500 card with open-source drivers ...
    Ooookay?

About the Gallium issue: Yeah, known bug on R300 cards. I haven't found the time to understand it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by nhaehnle View Post
    Ooookay?
    nothing personal. I would have just preferred to have a feature complete Open Source driver, before AMD cut off the closed source support.
    Right now I ended up without power management and without OpenGL3, which I would have with the closed source drivers.

But I am happy if you give me some vertex_program documentation.

nothing personal. I would have just preferred to have a feature complete Open Source driver, before AMD cut off the closed source support.
    Right now I ended up without power management and without OpenGL3, which I would have with the closed source drivers.
    Right. Sue the mob that forced you to upgrade to X server 1.6 and a too new kernels at a gunpoint?

since you decided to cripple my R500 card with open-source drivers
    Who the hell does 'you' refer to?

Do you realize that nhaehnle doesn't work for AMD and does all this for fun?

And by the way, it's not crippling if it's never been supported.

Sorry, I just am _really_ tired of seeing ridiculous comments and accusations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    Who the hell does 'you' refer to?

Do you realize that nhaehnle doesn't work for AMD and does all this for fun?

And by the way, it's not crippling if it's never been supported.

Sorry, I just am _really_ tired of seeing ridiculous comments and accusations like this.
    I am referring to god and the blatant unfairness that nhaehnle does not fix the hunger in the development countries - he is a developer right?

seriously, I was referring to the guy I quoted in my post

There is no GLSL yet, but I'm working on it as time permits. However, I also want to push the Gallium driver r300g which has some catching up to do, so that slows things down a little.

I can't give you a good timeframe, unfortunately. It might happen in Mesa 7.7 or not, it's not clear at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nhaehnle View Post
    There is no GLSL yet, but I'm working on it as time permits. However, I also want to push the Gallium driver r300g which has some catching up to do, so that slows things down a little.

I can't give you a good timeframe, unfortunately. It might happen in Mesa 7.7 or not, it's not clear at the moment.
    Thanks for the info. I highly value your work on the OSS drivers so don't get me wrong, it's just that I'm getting a bit frustrated by not being able to use a 2 year old gfx card on linux properly (especially now since I got invited to Heroes of Newerth beta ).

Anyways, if you need a tester for R500 (Mobility X1600) give me a PM. I got some simple as well as more complicated GLSL stuff here.