Thread: Wine 1.1.30 Supports OpenAL, More Direct3D 10

Default Wine 1.1.30 Supports OpenAL, More Direct3D 10

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.30 Supports OpenAL, More Direct3D 10

The developers of Wine have come out today with their first development release in over three weeks. Wine 1.1.30 has arrived, and this release has brought a few great improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU2MQ

Thank God, finally they did it. Now we can finally just everyone use OpenAL with Wine and use ALSA/OSS/PulseAudio/other driver in OpenAL. \o/

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Thank God, finally they did it. Now we can finally just everyone use OpenAL with Wine and use ALSA/OSS/PulseAudio/other driver in OpenAL. \o/
    Is it really a OpenAL based DirectSound driver? I thought it was an win32 DLL which directly wrapps the system's OpenAL, just as their DirectX wrapper which uses OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by leidola View Post
    Is it really a OpenAL based DirectSound driver? I thought it was an win32 DLL which directly wrapps the system's OpenAL, just as their DirectX wrapper which uses OpenGL.
    Yes. It is a thunking layer for Windows programs that use OpenAL (aka openal32.dll). This only affects Windows programs that use OpenAL. This simply lets those programs use the native OS's OpenAL implementation more directly.

Blah, too bad. I guess the only DirectSound -> OpenAL wrapper available then is on native Windows. (made by Creative, I think)

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Blah, too bad. I guess the only DirectSound -> OpenAL wrapper available then is on native Windows. (made by Creative, I think)
    No there is another dsound -> openal wrapper as well. It is made by Chris Robinson (the same guy who wrote the wine openal wrapper) but I'm not sure if he made a public release.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
    No there is another dsound -> openal wrapper as well. It is made by Chris Robinson (the same guy who wrote the wine openal wrapper) but I'm not sure if he made a public release.
    Might make sense to give him a gentle nudge about it. Having it done that way should clarify things quite a lot and move all of this opensource audio API mess out of Wine. Then you guys could focus on making the OpenAL passover as good as possible instead of doing headbanging every decade or so when someone decides to make a new sound server.

Did they fix starcraft's bnet menu yet?