Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI R300-R500 Gallium3D Driver Is "Mostly" Done

Hybrid View

Default ATI R300-R500 Gallium3D Driver Is "Mostly" Done

Phoronix: ATI R300-R500 Gallium3D Driver Is "Mostly" Done

It has been a while since talking specifically about ATI's Gallium3D driver, but there is some good news coming out now for the driver that supports the ATI R300 through R500 (Radeon X1000) series hardware. Corbin Simpson, the developer that has largely been working on porting the 3D work from the classic Mesa driver to Gallium3D, has updated the Radeon Feature Matrix page on the X.Org Wiki last night.According to this update, the status of Gallium3D on ATI R300 through R500 hardware has changed from "TODO" and "WIP" to being "DONE" for the Softpipe pass-through and being "MOSTLY" for the core driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzYwMA

The ATI Gallium3D driver that supports the R600 and R700 (and R800) hardware is still being worked on as well.
    Could you share source of that information? AFAIK AMD wants to /finish/ r300g first, to learn what should be avoided when writing r600g. I was eve talking with Bridgman about this yesterday.
    So, where did you get that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Zajec View Post
    Could you share source of that information? AFAIK AMD wants to /finish/ r300g first, to learn what should be avoided when writing r600g. I was eve talking with Bridgman about this yesterday.
    So, where did you get that info?
    It's being worked on still as in it's not done yet either.

Hello,

thanks for the updates on the ati driver status. Can someone explain what features is gallium going to offer against the mesa driver ?

I read the matrix but i do not understand what parts of the mesa driver are going to be replaced by the gallium driver. For example is it going to replace only the mesa 3d features or other parts of the matrix as well like XXA - EXA acceleration and xv - xvmc video support ? I don't really understand how gallium is working on the existing graphics stack.

Also i want to ask why there is no gallium on r100 chips?

Finally, i tried to check on the feature matrix of the intel driver http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver but it seems that no one is updating this.

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood View Post
    Also i want to ask why there is no gallium on r100 chips?
    I believe Gallium pretty much requires modern hardware. It's designed around how all modern cards work (programmable pipelines) instead of the fixed function pipelines of older graphics hardware.

The hardware types are so different there's really no way to come up with a sane driver architecture for both.

has anybody tried already to run the Gallium3D based drivers and can provide some experiences?

I'm very tired (just got off the road after a couple hours) so I'll respond without quoting.

This status update is to reflect that r300g is pretty much done in terms of structure; nearly all remaining issues are blocker bugs rather than the result of shoddy or incomplete code. I mainly wanted to nuke the individual rows since the GalliumStatus page has those already, and in greater detail.

As far as I know, nobody, including myself, has started work on r600g. The current code should permit software passthrough without modification, provided that one is running the r600 KMS/CS kernel, but I have not actually verified it so it is listed as incomplete.

Gallium requires shaderful cards. r100g is impossible, r200g could happen if somebody writes the shader->FF auxiliary code required. (I wouldn't recommend it.)

r600g required KMS, GEM/TTM, and CS, just like r300g. (DRI2 only; I didn't want to bend backwards to support old, fail interfaces.) Now that the r600 KMS/CS code is there, and nearly stable, the biggest blocker is that I'm waiting for the cash to send away to Newegg for a PCIe motherboard to replace my old fried one. Then away we'll go, to the land of Gallium.

Dave, Nicolai, and I, talked about NPOT. In a nutshell, we can do rectangles but not NPOT, which technically means that full HW-accelerated GL 2.0 is not possible on r500. So, why does fglrx advertise it anyway? Simple. fglrx lies and advertises GL 2.0 (for the GLSL entrypoints) without actually advertising the NPOT extension. Bad fglrx, bad. Jakob and I are thinking that we'll either write out fallbacks in the state tracker, or we'll just lie like fglrx. One of the two.

i965g was nuked because it never actually worked. It never actually ran on real hardware, and was broken badly. Removing it helps people understand this, and paves the way for an eventual, non-suck i965g driver.

I think that's everything. Thanks for the questions, time for sleep now. :3

~ C.

Quote Originally Posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    Now that the r600 KMS/CS code is there, and nearly stable, the biggest blocker is that I'm waiting for the cash to send away to Newegg for a PCIe motherboard to replace my old fried one. Then away we'll go, to the land of Gallium.
    Can't you set up a PayPal account (or something similar). Paying for hardware for you (and other developers) seems like the least we could do.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    Can't you set up a PayPal account (or something similar). Paying for hardware for you (and other developers) seems like the least we could do.
    Anonymous donors have already given me video cards in excess of the hardware I'm planning to buy, so don't sweat it. I'm just trying to keep a hobbyist thing (video drivers) from causing me to blow through all my savings. :3

Michael, I think Zajec is asking where the r600 gallium work is happening (if it is happening). http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...allium/drivers