Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden massive performance increase, radeon/ati

Performance gains don't seem limited to just FF, so...

Quote Originally Posted by madman2k View Post
    its not because firefox uses XUL, but rather because firefox uses XRender heavily which is still flaky with some drivers...
    Are you sure? Even Firefox interface is slow as hell and afaik it's xul fault.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Are you sure? Even Firefox interface is slow as hell and afaik it's xul fault.
    xul is just an XML description of the interface - it uses Cairo/GTK for rendering - so it should have similar performance like other GTK apps.
    The only exceptional thing is that webpages require the use of some advanced rendering methods from cairo, which might in turn trigger driver bugs. (similar situation like with pulseaudio)

Quote Originally Posted by madman2k View Post
    xul is just an XML description of the interface - it uses Cairo/GTK for rendering - so it should have similar performance like other GTK apps.
    The only exceptional thing is that webpages require the use of some advanced rendering methods from cairo, which might in turn trigger driver bugs. (similar situation like with pulseaudio)
    Ok, thank you for the explanation. Btw. GTK Gnutella interface seems to be far more responsive then Firefox or Open Office interface right now. Is it because Firefox and OOo base more on XRender then GtkGnutella?

@LadFromWales85

Do you have some options in xorg.conf maybe? I also use Arch Linux and after upgrade, Firefox became less responsive - it hangs sometimes for a second or so. I have this in xorg.conf:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"

and I have KMS disabled right now.

gears is HIGHLY cpu dependent, so if you upgraded your CPU that may explain the increase. Also if you upgraded mesa, there have been a lot of improvements over the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Ok, thank you for the explanation. Btw. GTK Gnutella interface seems to be far more responsive then Firefox or Open Office interface right now. Is it because Firefox and OOo base more on XRender then GtkGnutella?
    OpenOffice doesn't use Gtk.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    gears is HIGHLY cpu dependent, so if you upgraded your CPU that may explain the increase.
    Considering that at least two people saw roughly the same improvement (~ %75) at the same time, I doubt this was caused by CPU upgrades.

Also if you upgraded mesa, there have been a lot of improvements over the past few months.
    Again, it was a very sudden increase for me (and I think the OP too). I've been updating mesa and radeonhd pretty regularly, at least once every few days. We were just wondering what caused the gain. (I'm definitely not complaining.)
    Thanks.

I just realized the OP was talking in FPS and gears shows frames in 5.0 seconds. So that gives me about 2000 fps with KMS. I checked without KMS and I get about 4000 fps in gears. This seems to make sense because Pentium D's are slow than most, if not all Opterons.

Regardless of this gears is not a benchmark stuff. When the graphics system is slow it makes it feel like the whole OS is slow. The recent updates in the last few months have made the desktop look and run so sexy smooth now.
    Last edited by rob2687; 10-12-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    So I wonder what this sluggish thing is

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    OpenOffice uses an internal Toolkit called VCL, which is ugly, slow and old. Later a GTK-Theming layer was added on top of it, which made it even slower, but less ugly.
    But luckily they started rewriting interface - this work will give us the interface of Office2007 in just 3-5 Years